• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

explain this

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpdfs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
most of you know Lucy is blind..

ok so I'm starting to introduce her and buddy more, they seem to love eachother, always trying to get to eachother but today I had her out on towel and igloo there and they were smelling and talking ot eachother just carrying on and she went in the igloo he came shortly after and she snaped at him and tried ot bite him, I think she got him a lil and i went in there to get her and she bit at me too.. can someone explain this?

She was possibly just spooked, it happened to me the other day. I went to get one of them out, she was hiding in a box and she bit me. I found out later on that she had a cut on her eye and it was quite sore and swollen so she probably couldn't see me going for her.

With lucy I could suggest that everything is done where she can sense you. try not to come at her from behind and things like that, let her sniff you first.

If two piggies are arguing and it turns bag, always get one out with a towel as what you had happend, well it may happen again :) It's not just your pig, I have some lovely bites on my cleaveage from a lovely piggie who doesn't like being handeled. LoL Great in my wedding dress ;) x

what is the best way I can introude them to eachother so eventually they will be living together?

Put them in a run with clean bedding or whatever, and watch them... do this every day for a set amount of time.

if you then decide to put them in together, clean the home that they will be living in throughly. Change everything round and clean it all so it seems like a different hutch and smells strange. That way it will be no ones territry.

Unless they draw blood, try not to seperate them as little nips are just telling who's boss. though just keep an eye on them.

xx

I thought it was best not to keep introducing and seperating them, but wait until you can bond them completely?

Don't you still have about 3½ weeks to wait before pairing them up (from Buddy's neuter).

I was told to let them have like, long times together... I might be wrong.... if they get on don't seperate them lol. x

hes got a lil over a week left form what the doctor told me, Hes going back in for his final checkup tonight.. I just put them together on a towel for a few mins. I dont allow him to mount her as I keep my hand nearby just letting then sniff and he likes to lick her bottom quite a bit.. He has the big boy cage and when shes out she knows hes in ther and she constantly bites on the cage trying to get into him its soo funny lol.. hes got a big pen and we cnage and clean everything quite ofter (hes on towels) much easier then beeding plus hes about 95% potty trained so that is nice as well, I dont think I will be able to get her that way so i will have to clean more! :(

Here is a collection of tips on how to best introduce guinea pigs:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38562

Make allowances for Lucy's blindness by doing the introductions in a familiar space, but take out any hides with only one exit, so she cannot feel crowded from behind. Buddy will have to learn not to jump or surprise Lucy without warning, so there might be the odd scuffle about that until he's got the message! If necessary stand ready with a towel to separate them in case there is a full blown biting fight - which I frankly do not expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back