• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Extra claw?

dabel101

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi i have a 3 month old guinea pig who was born here with me, and it has just come to my attention that she has four claws on her back foot! I’m not sure what to do! Is this normal? It looks like a completely normal nail except that it is overlapping slightly of the nail next to it!

I'm not sure what to do now, do i take her to the vet? Or do i just leave it? Clip it?

Thanks for the help.

Could you post a photo? Otherwise please leave it. If it starts causing issues then take her to the vet.

Okay will try my best, i would also like to clarify she was born with me as a result of an unknown pregnancy from the guinea pig i had from the pet store, i do not breed! (just wanted to clarify😅)

It does not seem to be bothering her at all, she is very active and a happy pig!

Upon closer inspection, one of her front nails seem to br growing to the side? I’m becoming quite worried now. Should i be worried at all? I’ve tried taking a picture but she wont stay still!

Does it seem swollen or red? Best thing is to just have her checked over by the vet.

The toe is a bit bigger than the rest of them yes, will try and take her to the bet as soon as possible thank you!

Upon closer inspection, one of her front nails seem to br growing to the side? I’m becoming quite worried now. Should i be worried at all? I’ve tried taking a picture but she wont stay still!
I’d personally take her for a check up at a good piggy vets just to make sure everything looks ok and it won’t impact on her walking, especially as she gets bigger and heavier.
Ive got a piggy i rehomed recently (Cleo, she’s 3 months too!) that has ‘wonky’ toes as we call them, her toes are ‘joined together’ so it looks like she has 2 toes but she has 3 nails on each foot.
83BF700E-F313-4713-849C-980BAB741032.jpegF6DD43E7-D35D-4D02-B3AC-AF4235CBF73A.jpeg
She had a check up and thankfully it shouldn’t impact on her walking etc but definitely a good idea to get them looked at!
Hope all goes well at the vets! Let us know how it goes! Pics would be lovely too :D:))

Just a quick question, is it just a coincidence that she has both these problems, extra claw and a claw that grows sideways, or do they go hand in hand?

Just a quick question, is it just a coincidence that she has both these problems, extra claw and a claw that grows sideways, or do they go hand in hand?
I think these are genetic defects usually seen in interbreeding

Hi i have a 3 month old guinea pig who was born here with me, and it has just come to my attention that she has four claws on her back foot! I’m not sure what to do! Is this normal? It looks like a completely normal nail except that it is overlapping slightly of the nail next to it!

I'm not sure what to do now, do i take her to the vet? Or do i just leave it? Clip it?

Thanks for the help.

Hi!

Polydactyly (an extra back toe) is not all that uncommon in guinea pigs.

Please have your piggy vet checked to see how firmly or loosely the extra toe is attached. Any loose toes should be removed safely by a vet as they pose a health risk. firmly attached toes can stay on and won't impede your piggy's mobility.
Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Feet and Foot Problems

Hi!

Polydactyly (an extra back toe) is not all that uncommon in guinea pig. Please have your piggy vet checked to see how firmly or loosely the extra toe is attached. Any loose toes should be removed safely by a vet as they pose a health risk. firmly attached toes can stay on and won't impede your piggy's mobility.

Thank you so much, a vet app will me made as soon as! x

Hi, one of my previous piggies had an extra claw on her front foot. The vet said to leave it or have it taken off if she ever struggled with movement, but we left it and it didn’t bother her at all. I guess it depends on how stable/attached it is and how comfortable they walk on it. See what the vet says. x

It’s quite common, particularly with all the inbreeding that goes on with piggies. It often comes as a shock when you first come to clip the claws and find an extra one. I know several piggies who’ve had them removed (while under anaesthetic for something else eg neutering) with no issues, and others who still have them if they are causing no problem. Just see what your vet says.

Hi!

Polydactyly (an extra back toe) is not all that uncommon in guinea pigs.

Please have your piggy vet checked to see how firmly or loosely the extra toe is attached. Any loose toes should be removed safely by a vet as they pose a health risk. firmly attached toes can stay on and won't impede your piggy's mobility.
Good to know. Florence has a extra floppy little toe. . I think.. . Doesn't bother her at all but I will get it checked . Love to take a photo but I need extra arm myself to do it. . Florence does not pose. .

Back