• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye Abscess: Treating With Baytril And Tlc

Status
Not open for further replies.

His Pig Friday

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all

Haven't been around for a while but just wanted to post a bit of a brief on a nasty eye abscess we're treating on Hildy.

Hildy had a very deep hay poke to her eye, which has not responded to a topical antibiotic eye drop that she's been on for a few days. We have very sadly had an abscess form in the front of the eye.

Hildy has been the bravest little girl throughout. Eating, drinking, in and out of everything as always. Tonight was the first dose of baytril along with metacam and a probiotic mixed into the dry food which she has been on for over a week now. She's not seeing out of it and likely won't regain vision but we hope we can save the eye and avoid surgery.

If anyone would like to share experiences, advice etc do reply - I'm anxious to get this right for Hildy.

Thanks

I just want to wish sweet Hildy the best of luck. Get well soon little one.

Thank you so much @piggyfan it breaks my heart she is so sweet tempered with it, I just wish I could make it better right away. Your positive thoughts are really appreciated.

My Matthew had an emergency vet trip today for hay in his eye. He was treated with eyedrops and I have to give them 4x a day too.

Best of luck with Hildy.

Hi @furryfriends Excellent Adventure Sanctuary

Our vet feels that it is an abscess with placement in the front of the eye rather than behind the eye and is hoping we can stop the infection from spreading behind the eye. But I am a little concerned about the Baytril - if Zithromax might work quicker and more effectively I might bring it up. I wonder if I should give the Baytril a chance first though. I find it a bit scary giving such a strong antibiotic... don't want to mess her digestive system around too much :(

Sorry - forgot to thank you. It's greatly appreciated. I feel a bit more informed.

Can't advise but just wanted to sent Hildy some love. It is lovely to see your avatar on here again x

Thank you @sport_billy . I'm sorry it's under such sad circumstances but it is genuinely lovely to pop back and see how busy and vibrant the community is ☺️Here is a little snap of Baby Bean, who isn't such a baby anymore!image.jpg

Grown so much, I do hope Hildy will be okay, she is such a sweet piggy.

Don't forget to stay in touch :)

It may be worth carrying on with the baytril for a few days, but if no improvement then I do think a change to Zithromax would be a good move. I have always found Zithromax to be less harsh on the gut than baytril. If your vet wanted to speak with my vet about Zithromax that would be fine. It is Simon Maddock and his phone no is 01604 478888. x

Thank you so much @furryfriends Excellent Adventure Sanctuary. I feel much happier having a day or two to give the Baytril a chance but having an alternative to bring up with our Vet if it doesn't start giving results. The more informed the more I feel in control and confident I can advocate for Hildy. Thanks so much for your support.

I agree re. the effefcts of zithromax and baytril, but it is worth seeing whether baytril is doing the job. At least it is good gfor you to know that there is a stronger alternative available.

All the best to poor Hildy!

Hi everyone. Just a quick update.

Hildy is doing really well. We've persevered with the baytril and we're almost healed up. Our vet is really pleased with the progress she's making. Touch wood, the eye is looking much healthier and she's her usual happy, hungry self.

Thank you all for your interest, advice and input - it made me feel much more confident in handling the situation, as I was very anxious having previously lost her brother, Walter, very suddenly. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back