• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye discharge and runny nose

Marlee and Fluffy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig has a lot of white discharge on her eye and sometimes her eye is crusty. Most of the time this happens with only one eye but sometimes the other eye is also pretty watery. My guinea pig also has a runny nose, is this something I should worry about? Because this has happened for the past 3-4 weeks.

My guinea pig has a lot of white discharge on her eye and sometimes her eye is crusty. Most of the time this happens with only one eye but sometimes the other eye is also pretty watery. My guinea pig also has a runny nose, is this something I should worry about? Because this has happened for the past 3-4 weeks.

Hi!

Milky white fluid is eye cleaning fluid. If a lot is landing outside the eye, then it may be that the tear duct is blocked.

A longer term runny nose and watery eyes should be vet checked. It may be a sensitivity to something but you can usually only diagnose that after all other possible issues like a rhinitis etc. have been excluded and working out what is causing the problem is a lengthy process of trial and error.

Are you using air conditioning?
Irritants to Avoid Around Guinea Pigs
Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?

It can be airconditioning. Try moving his cage somewhere where he is not directly affected by cold air. I would take him to the vet anyhow because this is something that is going on for some time now.

Thank you for your advice, we still do use air conditioning though the air conditioning isn’t directly facing the guinea pig cage. I do not often see my piggie have a runny nose, however she still has pretty watery eyes, she occasionally sneezes, (I’ve only seen her sneeze twice though) and she itches herself a lot.

Back