• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye emergency.. Winny

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I went to get the piggies out for dinner and floor time and noticed Winnys eye looked wrong... I know it wasn't like it this morning as I hand feed them breakfast and dinner.... it didn't look good so I rang the vets immediately and she was there within 20 mins...

Vet has removed a grass seed but was kind of pushing for removal but not saying IT HAS TO COME OUT COS ITS REALLY BAD...

Winny has been given :
Baytrill .0.87 once a day
Isarhal Eye drops twice a day

I have some Metacam/Loxicom (dog) from before (new bottle) and vet said 0.22ml ONCE a day..

She said if I wanted to see how that went but they still might need to remove the eye on Monday if no improvement.

Unsure whether to get a second opinion from my other vet Ellie Whitehead in MATLOCK..

I have attached a photo and any advice is more than welcome...never had an eye issue..20210203_194353.jpg

Oh poor Winny, that looks very sore. Hope she makes a quick recovery x Sorry have no experience at all on eyes 😟

Oh poor Winny, that looks very sore. Hope she makes a quick recovery x Sorry have no experience at all on eyes 😟
i know... i feel so sorry for her... i gave her some pain relief before we went to the vets as I had some out ready to give to brownie..

Obviously each eye issue is different, but Bellamy once had hay stuck which I managed to remove and his eye was this bright blue also and had me freaking out. After two days I saw massive improvement so with the time scale the vet has given you, I would say you should be able to defintely tell whether the eye can be saved or not

Obviously each eye issue is different, but Bellamy once had hay stuck which I managed to remove and his eye was this bright blue also and had me freaking out. After two days I saw massive improvement so with the time scale the vet has given you, I would say you should be able to defintely tell whether the eye can be saved or not
Thank you - I am freaking out cos it looks so sore.... so that is reassuring..

Meg had REALLY bad haypoke last year. It was a very deep ulcer and her eye was very sore. It took 8 weeks of 3 lots of eye drops 3 times a day (I was not Mrs Popular) to clear up. Nothing was mentioned about eye removal. Hopefully Winny's eye will respond well to the Isathal. Do you have Viscotears? They are about a fiver from Boots. It's artificial eye tears that help keep the eye hydrated aiding healing.

Each case is different. The pics below show my Odin’s eye when it was at its worse with the abscess behind and the stages as it healed. I thought he would never have a normal eye or sight again, but he did. The second picture is his eye 6
Weeks later.
I second what’s been said about the viscotears. Well worth it.
I’m keeping everything crossed and sending healing vibes for your gorgeous Winny 💕

AD70DA32-377B-4DC3-AEF2-319AB7FAF87D.jpeg84757FBC-CBBE-4EB2-9B85-3416B82C5314.jpeg

Meg had REALLY bad haypoke last year. It was a very deep ulcer and her eye was very sore. It took 8 weeks of 3 lots of eye drops 3 times a day (I was not Mrs Popular) to clear up. Nothing was mentioned about eye removal. Hopefully Winny's eye will respond well to the Isathal. Do you have Viscotears? They are about a fiver from Boots. It's artificial eye tears that help keep the eye hydrated aiding healing.
I am feeling more reassured... as soon as she went into the vets, I legged it to boots 3 shops down and got some viscotears! I told the vet but she said to use the isathal but I think I will use the viscotears also.. anything to help her.. x

I am feeling more reassured... as soon as she went into the vets, I legged it to boots 3 shops down and got some viscotears! I told the vet but she said to use the isathal but I think I will use the viscotears also.. anything to help her.. x
Yes defo stick with the isathal too as it helps clear up the ulcer

You have to wait at least half an hour between the Viscotears and the Isathal to allow them both to soak into the eye. Meg had Isathal, Viscotears and Remegel. They all work in different ways.

OUCH!

It is very ulcerated so you cannot really tell but Nosgan's eye was looking worse and even Kim Maddock was unsure whether it could be saved. But he made it and even regained a degree of sight. Please get some artificial tear gel/lubricant; according to Kim it helps with healing process deeper in the eye where the isathal or chloramphenicol can't reach as well as with comfort on the eye and shifting the ulceration. Always wait at least half an hour to allow the isathal to be fully absorbed before applying it 3-6 times a day.

Better go for a second opinion and stronger meds if your vet insists on removal.

All the best.

Ooh poor little Winny, that does look sore. Really hope the eye drops help xx

Poor Winny, that looks nasty! Hope the Isathal and Viscotears are helping.

I remember when I helped get Kreacher to TEAS, his eye was so bad Simon wasn't sure he could save it, but he tried some other drops on it and they worked. Hopefully Winny's eye can be saved too.

A scottish visitor...
(post #43)

Poor Winny, that looks nasty! Hope the Isathal and Viscotears are helping.

I remember when I helped get Kreacher to TEAS, his eye was so bad Simon wasn't sure he could save it, but he tried some other drops on it and they worked. Hopefully Winny's eye can be saved too.

A scottish visitor...
(post #43)
Me too... I must say I am feeling more hopeful after the replies I have had...

Awww..poor Winny. Hopefully the Isathal is enough to fix the issue. But I would give out Loxicom 2x a day.
She has only had 1 dose so far bless her... she isn't the best for cuddles so gonna have to Burito her for sure..

Yes I know from Brownies issues that pain relief is best twice a day.. Good job I have a full bottle in..

Back