• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye Infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hayleyandjohn

I noticed yesterday that my guinea pigs eye looked inflammed around the edges in the morning and when i got back from work it looked worse. The inside around the edge is inflammed but the eye itself looks healthy. I washed it with saline a few times and i read on peter gurneys website to put optrex in her eye so i have done that.
I just went to check on her and the eye does not look any better and now the other eye looks like it might do the same thing, its not inflammed just watery at the moment so put oprex in that eye too this morning.
I cant see anything that might be stuck in there, so i am thinkin it might be a bacterial infection?
I would be grateful for anyones opinion and whether there is anything I can buy instead of taking her to the very expensive vet?
Or if i do have to take her to the vet does anyone know a good cheaper one in the slough area?
I really do not want her to lose the eye, i had a guinea pig a few years back, hes passed now, but he lost an eye and its not pleasnt!

I've never seen a guinea with an eye infection, so I can't help much. I'm sure someone else will though.

Having said that I think you should always get anything suspicious checked by a good guinea vet.

You said watery.. how watery? My Tonic and Peanuts have always had really watery looking eyes. Theirs are ok.

If it's a little red, it could be fatty eye? Have you got a picture?

Fatty eye is white. Red and inflamed sounds like a possible infection of some sort. I think a trip to the vet or rodent specialost is needed. Hope your piggy gets better soon.

In the piglopadia - fatty eye is a pink swelling protruding under the lower eyelid :)

I have seen some too and they are a tinged red :)

oh right... it looks white to me. Hugos is pure white but he is a white (and cream) pig. Anyway... it is where the eyelid is fatter than it should be so sticks out. Have you got a picture?

I think as well, it depends on the colour of the piggy, The few that I've seen have been on black and brown piggies. Maybe it's just more noticeable? :)

I got some eye drops today which is supose to reduce inflammation, and its looking a little better.
The picture is not very good it was taken on my mobile but it was taken after the eye drops were put in.

Good news, Porsches eye is looking alot better now! Phew! its still a little inflammed but on the whole better.
If anyone knows what it was I would be grateful to know so i can try and prevent it happening again.

Thanks for all your advice!

maybe she had something in it which started off an infection, think fatty eye is coloured diffrently as in diffrent coloured pigs I have quincee whos did start off redish but is now a creamy white so maybe colours change as the eye problem develops more,

it did look better but now that i put her bk with others again it still doesnt look right, could it be possible that the other two girls r doin it 2 her?

It's possible that they are having a little fight. But maybe it's an infection that they can pass on?

The other two dont have anything wrong with their eyes.
I am gonna change her bedding back to just paper shreddings, had to use hay this week cos run out of paper, so hopefully everything this is the route of the problem.
Her eye is definately better today although can still feel the swelling like under the fur near her eyes and what is strange is that the other eye is smaller than that one?

I was thinking that maybe she could be allergic to hay or it's too dusty?

Has it always been noticeably bigger/smaller than the other eye?

yeh I'm thinking that its the hay too, well will see how it is without hay as the bedding.
Her eyes have not been like that, they were both the same.

The other one is smaller than normal,she can hardly open at times, and the other is larger than normal.

Maybe you should get it checked out then. I have knowledge and a little experience of eye infections, but am unsure of what could be the problem. Best to get checked by a rodentologist just in case it is a problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back