• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

eye infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have just noticed my girlfiends guinea pigs eyes look red, puffy and sticky, their is also a little bit of crust at the corners. He feels warmer than normal, his ears are usually cool but they are very warm also. I have noticed both of his bottom eyelids look as if they are sagging a little aswell?

I have already got an appointment at the vet tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone could help us out with some info on what it could be?. He is eating fine and is pop - corning like mad as usual lol

Any help, info or advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Alan

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Alan, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like it could be an eye infection, in which case antibiotic eye drops will be needed. It could also be an allergic type response to something in his environment, the bedding is often to blame - what bedding do you use?

What you describe can also be a symptom of upper respiratory infection, however I would expect more symptoms to present quickly e.g. loss of appetite, lethargy, noisy or laboured breathing - worth keeping a very close eye out for any of these symptoms until he is fully recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.