• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye Problem Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bendy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi ive attached a picture of Piglets eye noticed this evening, not sure if an infection or caused by some sort of trauma. I've bathed it with cool water as it looks swollen a bit like a black eye if you can get such a thing in Guinea Pigs. My three girls have a habit are charging around a full speed so not sure if she bumped herself, or has been in a squabble or maybe has something in her eye. Does this warrant a trip to vets tomorrow? It's not discharging but does look swollen and watery. Any advice greatly appreciated.image.jpg

Attachments

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Please have him seen by a vet tomorrow as soon as you can. Watery eyes mean that there is an irritation/pain to the eye, and it looks indeed very sore! :(

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, @Bendy How is Piglet today? Did the vet put some ultra violet ointment in the eye to show up any ulceration? My Maya's eye looked just like that after she got a bit of hay in it. I did the same as you and bathed it with cold water and the swelling went right down. I thought it was okay. But I took her to the vet and she put some ultraviolet ointment in it which showed that there was an ulcer.

Bendy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi yes 7squeakers it was an Ulcer eye went slightly cloudy. Got ointment for 2x a day for 1 week go back next Monday for checkup.

Bendy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I forgot to ask the vet if the cloudy patch on her eyeball will disappear, the swelling has gone down with the treatment and she doesn't seem bothered by her eye, and it looks pretty much normal however there is still a slight clouding where the ulcer is/was? We are due back at the vet on Monday. Thanks

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I forgot to ask the vet if the cloudy patch on her eyeball will disappear, the swelling has gone down with the treatment and she doesn't seem bothered by her eye, and it looks pretty much normal however there is still a slight clouding where the ulcer is/was? We are due back at the vet on Monday. Thanks
The cloudy patch should disappear. Depending on the severity, it can take more of a week for the eye to heal.

Bendy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Quick up date Piglets eye has healed, however noticed a scab on the back of her ear today, just got back form vet re check up for her eye and he examined her for mites/other wounds nothing else found but have been told to monitor her and keep a look out for bald patches in fur, I assume ringworm?.
I think it may be possible my girls are squabbling so will need to keep a close eye on them :eek::eek:.
Hopefully no more trips to the vet for the time being :dri:

Status
Not open for further replies.