• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

eye problems

ctrIsaiah

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hello, my sow (oreo) is 4 years old, recently I adopted another sow (valentine) is around 6 months.. I wanted them to meet and such and I put them together in a new play pen so oreo won’t become too dominant and it’s a new area.. I watched them for a bit then I left them alone, when I came back to check on them oreo was on the other side of the play pen and valentine was on the other side too, I looked at oreo and her eye was different and was seem red and and looked puffy, I think maybe valentine scratch or bit her eye. I am going to take her to the vet today, should I be worry?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 9
Hi

Good that you have her eye checked. It takes a proper investigation with a special dye under UV light to see what exactly is going on.

All the best. There is quite a bit of discharge in both eyes. the left is somewhat drawn in and looking more painful. Hopefully primpt treatment should take care of it and it will heal quickly. There is thankfully no blood.

Guinea pig sows don't fight but they can overreact when on edge and feeling cornered with either a swipe of the back legs (mild) or an instinctive split second defence bite if they are feeling threatened with no other way out. This is not a deliberate injury.
If you have hay in the bonding pen, your girl could have also ended up with a face full of hay dust if making a wild dash through it.

hi,
Hi

Good that you have her eye checked. It takes a proper investigation with a special dye under UV light to see what exactly is going on.

All the best. There is quite a bit of discharge in both eyes. the left is somewhat drawn in and looking more painful. Hopefully primpt treatment should take care of it and it will heal quickly. There is thankfully no blood.

Guinea pig sows don't fight but they can overreact when on edge and feeling cornered with either a swipe of the back legs (mild) or an instinctive split second defence bite if they are feeling threatened with no other way out. This is not a deliberate injury.
If you have hay in the bonding pen, your girl could have also ended up with a face full of hay dust if making a wild dash through it.
hello, I took her to the vet and it seems she got a bacterial infection from the new guinea pig, it seems that the new sow (valentine) was asymptotic and gave (oreo) the bacterial infection.. I was given eye drops for her & antibiotics, It also seems that she has a mass on her right arm pit that I wasn’t aware of.. It may be a inflamed lymph note or cancer.. I am currently going to get this infection treated then see about that lymph note.
thank you for the reply!:)

What kind of bacterial infection is it? I hope her eye gets better soon.

Back