• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye ulcer?

Chewy6

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am on another thread for a fungal skin infection with the same pig.
I rescued a piggie and she seems to have come with alot of problems..

We have been to the vet multiple times now.
1st photo was her eye a few months ago. It was always been sunken in apparently? Maybe underlying issues.
2nd photo was during two different antibiotic eyedrops.
3rd is now, she is still squinting, its no longer cloudy but it still has a white mark on it like a damage mark which I am nearly sure it was a haypoke.

Anyway, the vet says it’s just a scar and will not go away, but i feel like there must be something that should help it. At least till she is no longer squinting, it looks like its sore.

Also, she is not one for painkillers, or any oral medicines. It causes her so much stress. Its almost not worth it.
Thanks again. Over the past few months of rescuing, i just seem to have the worst luck🙁.
Anyone else had a similar problem?

Attachments

• D0A22E80-A614-47A6-9E40-08C3A0A51180.png
    D0A22E80-A614-47A6-9E40-08C3A0A51180.png
    394.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 6B652B04-9C9A-4304-B077-C4E39F616A83.png
    6B652B04-9C9A-4304-B077-C4E39F616A83.png
    427.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 7ACFD1B1-850F-49CB-AC0F-20B2DB436342.png
    7ACFD1B1-850F-49CB-AC0F-20B2DB436342.png
    458.8 KB · Views: 12

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am on another thread for a fungal skin infection with the same pig.
I rescued a piggie and she seems to have come with alot of problems..

We have been to the vet multiple times now.
1st photo was her eye a few months ago. It was always been sunken in apparently? Maybe underlying issues.
2nd photo was during two different antibiotic eyedrops.
3rd is now, she is still squinting, its no longer cloudy but it still has a white mark on it like a damage mark which I am nearly sure it was a haypoke.

Anyway, the vet says it’s just a scar and will not go away, but i feel like there must be something that should help it. At least till she is no longer squinting, it looks like its sore.

Also, she is not one for painkillers, or any oral medicines. It causes her so much stress. Its almost not worth it.
Thanks again. Over the past few months of rescuing, i just seem to have the worst luck🙁.
Anyone else had a similar problem?

Hi!

The eye is looking rather bloody inside and will require an antibiotic and painkillers if your vet decides to treat medically. It can happen in the wake of major cataracts or untreated eye injuries.

My Meleri just needed to have her eye removed after her congenital cataract suddenly went a lot worse and then started to leak proteins into the inner of the eye, making it look as bloody (or even a little bit more so). Since medical control with antibiotics can be dicey and my vet warned me that if Meleri ever had an eye poke in that eye, it would turn REALLY bad, we decided that enucleation would be the best long term option for her (which was what I had expected would happen anyway). She is making a good recovery.
Please keep your fingers crossed for Meleri's eye removal operation!

Unfortunately, rescuing is very expensive because of the constant vet cost. Your experience is not unlucky but rather par for the course. For any long term sustainable rescue, a good source of fundraising and volunteer support is key. :(
Thinking-about-starting-up-your-own-rescue