• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Eyes - strange question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Right, I know that piggies can see in colour. But do their eye colour make a difference to what colours they can see?

I know ours doesn't, but we have all got a black pupil no matter the eye colour.

Piggies with red/pink eyes have a reddy pupil.. so do you think that makes a difference, or am I thinking daft?

Pink eyed pigs had reduced vision, I know that much! :)

I think as with other animals (including humans) pigs with red/pink eyes can experience poor eyesight, or impared vision due to their lack of pigmentation. They are generally highly photosensitive (have a dislike of light/brightlight) but as far as I know should still experience the same perception of colour as any other pig.

Nope definatly not a daft question, because of the lack of pigmentation in the iris of the eyes light that would in a 'normal' animal pass through only the pupil is often able to pass through iris as well meaning causing a bit of a overdose of light, hence the sensitivity. Animals with red/pink eyes also tend to sunburn more easilly (again due to the lack of pigmentaton; melanin in their skin).

I myself am extremely pale so appreciate their plight, poor dears ;)

would that mean, albino piggies would be a bit harder to tame and all that? be more jumpy? because they cant see as good as the others, and therefor scare more easily ?

Abnoba said:
would that mean, albino piggies would be a bit harder to tame and all that? be more jumpy? because they cant see as good as the others, and therefor scare more easily ?

I don't know for sure about pigs but I know 'lutino' cockateils have a reputation for being a bit 'flighty' so it would definately makes sense, and I've always assumed it with any other albino animal.

It's strange cos a few of mine have red eyes, but Titch has more pinky ones and they always seem to be 'wider' when he has a run? Maybe cos he sees a little less?

Pinkfluff said:
I think as with other animals (including humans) pigs with red/pink eyes can experience poor eyesight, or impared vision due to their lack of pigmentation. They are generally highly photosensitive (have a dislike of light/brightlight) but as far as I know should still experience the same perception of colour as any other pig.

thats why my red eyed white rex is always squinting then she does'nt like bright light ahhh bless her

kellyandpiggies said:
It's strange cos a few of mine have red eyes, but Titch has more pinky ones and they always seem to be 'wider' when he has a run? Maybe cos he sees a little less?

It's quite likely, on the other hand maybe he likes scaring your other piggies ;)

michellemuffin said:
thats why my red eyed white rex is always squinting then she does'nt like bright light ahhh bless her

Yep...and the fact she quite fancies the latest Gucci shades ;)

it makes you think about sunglasses does'nt it? wonder if i could find some mini ones maybe the ones Vicki beckham wears the hugh ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back