• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Faecal Build Up In Anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liz123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 5.5 year old male guinea pig Herbie has recently become unable to pass faeces properly and it builds up in his anus that i have had to manually squeeze out most days in order to ease his discomfort and stretching of his anus. The first time I removed a lump of poo from him some of the lining of his anus/rectum seemed to come out too. He is eating and drinking as well as ever and seems bright in character however his eyes and nose a often wet. Does anyone know what may have happened to him, any way I can help him or whether it is worth taking him to the vet? I am guessing the vet will say there's nothing to be done that wont cost a fortune.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score

Liz123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you so much! such a sad thing to happen.. Do you know if this condition is likely to attract flies to lay their eggs? Flies tend to lay their eggs on animals they think are dying and i just wonder whether this condition is likely to attract them

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! such a sad thing to happen.. Do you know if this condition is likely to attract flies to lay their eggs? Flies tend to lay their eggs on animals they think are dying and i just wonder whether this condition is likely to attract them
Yes, please keep him cleaned and also give him a bum bath with hand warm water whenever necessary. It can attract fly strike. :(

Liz123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
He seems to need it nearly every day, it looks like i'll have to bring him inside.
Thank you

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He seems to need it nearly every day, it looks like i'll have to bring him inside.
Thank you
Welcome to the forum, sorry you are having a little of a tough time, Sending your piggy lots of recovery vibes impaction must be discomforting.

Liz123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I shall just have to hope he gets no worse :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
It may get worse over time in the measure as the muscles weaken. Make sure that your boy is getting regular exercise to help keeping the muscles trained, very regular meals with ideally no changes (seems to help with some members's impacted boars) and plenty of fibre in the diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.