• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

failed boar dating - castration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi not sure if this would be better in another topic area, however...

I took Ernie for a spot of boar dating today. It didn't go well and Ernie had a real go at the other GP, catching the rescue woman's hand in the process and giving her a very nasty bite. He was very distressed afterwards and she has suggested that he isn't going to settle easily with another boar and suggested having him neutered in a couple of weeks when he has recovered from the stress.

I'm wondering if any of you have any experience of failed dating that then had a happy ending or any positive castration stories. I had my first GP neutered, he was fine after the op but died following a second injection the next day. I personally feel the nurse injected him in a nerve or something that caused his death. Having had this experience tho I'm very nervous about getting Ernie done and my daughter is dead against it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Stockport - happy to travel within reason to either a good vets or for another shot at boar dating.

9 months is not an ideal bonding age, Ernie could well have felt challenged/threatened by a hormonal teenager, so immediately set out his stall and came out fighting. You really need a baby 6 - 8 weeks, this would probably work much better, with an experienced bonder. I have never had a failed baby boar bonding, maybe give that a try. Neutering is safe,(as a general rule, but vet check would be necessary) although Ernie is getting to the age where it could be considered more dangerous. This will not alter his behaviour, just stop him having babies. It will increase his options, as after 6 weeks you could try him with a sow, but no guarantees there either. xx

I would try more pigs, afterall we don't choose the first person we see as our lifetime partner! :))

I was surprised how Ernie reacted, he initiated the fight. And he was very stressed afterwards. He was vibrating like I don't know what. I don't want to keep stressing him out. And I'd have to try another rescue place, I don't think the one I went to today wants to try again after Ernie's reaction and the huge chunk he took out of her hand!:red

I think they say to bond them at similar ages to ensure they get on well x

I was surprised how Ernie reacted, he initiated the fight. And he was very stressed afterwards. He was vibrating like I don't know what. I don't want to keep stressing him out. And I'd have to try another rescue place, I don't think the one I went to today wants to try again after Ernie's reaction and the huge chunk he took out of her hand!:red

Well thats why you have a towel ready to throw! :)) Hindsight is a wonderful thing rolleyes.

Glynneath rescue on here Suzy, told me she waits at least a week - 10 days so the pig doesn't reject new partner purely 'cos it's not the old one.
Also she suggested the pig spends time at the rescue before an introduction so it's not stressed from journey and new place. Suzy has alot of success with Male bondings shame you aren't near her.

Last edited:

Love it. Which rescue was it? x

Kay at the Bunny Hop. My friend boards her bunny there and got her 2nd bunny from there.

I got my first GP from the Tameside rescue. Does she do dating? I did look there earlier and saw the only boys she had were little babies. Would hate Ernie to take a chunk out of a baby. Was quite shocking to see the hole he left in kay's hand!

I got my first GP from the Tameside rescue. Does she do dating? I did look there earlier and saw the only boys she had were little babies. Would hate Ernie to take a chunk out of a baby. Was quite shocking to see the hole he left in kay's hand!

I would contact the rescue and ask for some boar dating, as Jayne says she has most success with a baby.

Your boy obviously felt threatened she really should have had a towel handy to protect her hand. At the end of the day they are Animals and if they don't like them they make it clear!

I have put three week old babies with huuuuuge boars, and they love it. The little one follows the big one around, and the big one in no way feels challenged for top pigship, so accepts the bub quite happily. By the time the little one's hormones start to grow, the pecking order is already established, so all works well. Can't stress enough though that it MUST be done on neutral territory, completely away from either one's own original home (although don't expect the bub would be very territorial). Then when they eventually go back into the cage it must be completely cleaned, re arranged, all houses, wooden stuff etc. new and changed, so it is like a new home for both, not an intruder coming in. There are ground rules but it's not difficult. xx

Thanks all. I've emailed Elaine at Tameside. I'm worried about causing Ernie any more stress tho!

I have put three week old babies with huuuuuge boars, and they love it. The little one follows the big one around, and the big one in no way feels challenged for top pigship, so accepts the bub quite happily. By the time the little one's hormones start to grow, the pecking order is already established, so all works well. Can't stress enough though that it MUST be done on neutral territory, completely away from either one's own original home (although don't expect the bub would be very territorial). Then when they eventually go back into the cage it must be completely cleaned, re arranged, all houses, wooden stuff etc. new and changed, so it is like a new home for both, not an intruder coming in. There are ground rules but it's not difficult. xx

Sorry to jump on the thread but thanks for this Nutmeg, JoJo is nearly a year old now and is chewing everything in sight and seems somewhat bored, am starting to consider getting him a baby boy as a friend and what you said about the hormones of the young one has reassured me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back