Falken's Tech Helpdesk

• Thread starter Thread starter DM090820
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DM090820

:) I'm bored and I have an hour to kill before I need to leave, I don't usually do this but any wider technology problems or concerns people have, please post them here and I'll try and help wherever I can.

:) I'm bored and I have an hour to kill before I need to leave, I don't usually do this but any wider technology problems or concerns people have, please post them here and I'll try and help wherever I can.
Any tips for getting in to the industry for my teenage son in final year of BTEC at college and going on to do computer science at uni next year ?

Oh dear , I missed this thread . Too late now . I could have done with some general advice on computer housekeeping ( virus scans / how to make computer faster etc) .

I can keep it ongoing @PiggieOwner :)

Any tips for getting in to the industry for my teenage son in final year of BTEC at college and going on to do computer science at uni next year ?

:) I really have no idea, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur. In the UK it's quite reputation based, if you've got a decent reputation they'll headhunt you. Most interesting employers in the UK are Facebook, Google and the defence industry. They all do open applications, and have weird recruitment tests :) But it could be best to start small, build up a skillset and reputation and make your way up, depends what he really wants to do :) But they'll give him a taster of everything at Uni.

Wish I had Falken to help us at work at the moment! Its been a very hard week.......

Great idea Falken - I see you offered to keep the offer open which is extremely kind. This plea is not prompted by any replies so far but just something that occurred to me as Falken is being so kind: please everyone take this offer in the intended spirit of free advice and so no grumbles if it doesn't work or Falken doesn't know the answer or isn't able to respond for a while (or ever!).

Ok so I have a question for whenever you are next killing time. We keep all our photos on an external hard drive and have a second copy too in case anything goes wrong with the first.

To back up to the second copy I usually write over the existing folder on it and it takes about an hour to complete the back up. Is there a quicker way do you think? Also is writing over eventually going to do some harm and should I be reformatting it first instead?

Turned out I had two questions!

Falken, a bit random but my son has asked for a one plus one mobile phone for christmas I know it's not computer related but I'm rubbish with anything tecno I was just wondering if you had hear of such a phone? As I haven't lol.
Kell

@Falken I just spilt water all over my laptop. It's not working. I have a report due in two days. I haven't my work saved anywhere else. I have it currently upside down in a triangle and I'm going to use a hair dryer in a second. But, Help please? :')

If it was on when the water hit it then it's zapped, if it's just the keyboard then a USB keyboard will help assuming there are no faulty 'relays' on the inbuilt one :) Erm, if not then the drive should be fine, if you extract the drive carefully and plug it into an external USB caddy you should be able to recover it, you do need someone with an external USB caddy, or perhaps a laptop that the drive will fit in though :)

If it was on when the water hit it then it's zapped, if it's just the keyboard then a USB keyboard will help assuming there are no faulty 'relays' on the inbuilt one :) Erm, if not then the drive should be fine, if you extract the drive carefully and plug it into an external USB caddy you should be able to recover it, you do need someone with an external USB caddy, or perhaps a laptop that the drive will fit in though :)

Thank you, I have it working after many hours of leaving it upside down, lesson learnt: don't sort out guinea pigs food on your laptop and back up your files - which I'll do tomorrow! :D

Good good :) Really unusual for them to survive getting wet, keep an eye on it, there's likely to be some damage to components on the board. If you've got a USB thumbdrive you can whack the document on there or email it to yourself, Moore's law kind of dictates something will happen at the worst possible time.

Good good :) Really unusual for them to survive getting wet, keep an eye on it, there's likely to be some damage to components on the board. If you've got a USB thumbdrive you can whack the document on there or email it to yourself, Moore's law kind of dictates something will happen at the worst possible time.

Really, my house mate spilt beer on hers a few weeks ago, worse than what I did... and hers is alive!
Now you've said that though... I'll back everything up now! haha

Really, my house mate spilt beer on hers a few weeks ago, worse than what I did... and hers is alive!
Now you've said that though... I'll back everything up now! haha

:) Yes, you've both been lucky, liquids and microelectronics really don't mix. Always try and back up, that advice goes for everyone btw :) You never know when something will fail, and it always will eventually, I've even had perfectly good USB drives fail at random, never had a HDD crash but I'm due one rather soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back