Fallen out? Advise please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laure

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok so if you haven't seen the previous thread, quick recap. Our sow Ginger was operated last week of mamary tumor.
When she came home I separarted her from her cage mates as we have a 2.5 floors C&C and I didn't want her to hurt herself going up the ramps as well as get an infection by sitting in the hay loft. So I kept her on towels on the ground floor for 5 days. The littles ones came coming to se her at the botom of the ramp so they could see each other.

We went to the vets yesterday for a check up and he said she has healing fine and to put het back with the others which I did yesterday after cleanng out th cage etc...

...It's not going well at all!
Ginger seems to be very angry and keeps chattering her teeth at the other 2. She's decided that the 1.5 half of the cage (inc hayloft) is hers and won't let the other 2 come up. She will just chase them away chattering.

No-one has got hurt yet but there has been some pretty violent chassing.

Does anyoone have any idea idea as to why she's being like that. is she trying to reclaim her boss status?

And what shall I do? I can't watch them all the time :(

any adcise welcome

Thanks

Lx

lexybee91

Reaction score
heya lovely!

I'm not an expert so I could be wrong but,

mine do the same thing when they're intimidated by another "possible top guinea" and they just over compensate a little to say like, you're not having my title. Hands off!

I would try to keep them in there unless they draw blood in which case grab a towel or something and seperate them imidiately.

most of the time I find it's just gentel, keep in your place kind of chasing?

xx

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Not quite the same situation, but Pippa (my top girl) was very feisty when she first met Boris too. Lots of teeth chattering and chasing just the same. There was no way she was letting anyone else be in charge!

I put them together on the living room floor where there was no issues over ownership. There was LOTS of chattering and some lunging and Boris lost a few chunks of hair, but no fighting. They eventually sorted themselves out and Boris realised she was in charge and how far he could push her.

I cleaned their hutch and mixed in a handful of both Boris' and the girls old bedding so the scents were mixed and they've been fine ever since.

Is there anywhere neutral your girls could be re-introduced? Some people swear by a bath to introduce pigs too.

Good luck, I hope your girls can work it out xx (And glad Ginger is healing well too)

Laure

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there,

Thank you very much for your replies so far. Unfortunately it dosn't seem to get any better.
Ginger is chasing the Winnie and Minnie around and looks like bulying to me pow-pow

She will chase them straight out of their bed, hay loft etc... they seem to be very intimidated by her and *** just move out of the way as soon as she is anywhere near them. You can feel the tention!

I have never had this befoe. All my girls have always got on really well in the past.

I m going to have a go at re-introducing after a bath etc... but I won't be able to do this for a couple of days so do you think I should separate them until then? I am worried they will fight when I am out at work?

my other question is that I have been considering getting a boy (neutered) to join them. There is one avalable for me if I want him (after his op) but I am woried that introducing a boy in a heated situation is going to ke it worse. Or would it make it better? Never had a boar so not sure...:)

Wht does everyone think?

Lx

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm really not sure to be honest :( I'm sorry Ginger still isn't playing ball

Has there been any rearing up with a view to fighting? Are you able to seperate them easily?

Of my girls, it was only Pippa who wasn't impressed with Boris, the other two took to him straight away. The probelm you may have through is that Ginger may accept him, but she may still not warm to Winnie and Minnie

It's a toughie, I don't really have enough experience to advise I'm afraid :(

Laure

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks Michelle.

I have separated them now as it was getting pretty nasty - though no actual blood but it wasn't far off! I have a 2 level C&C so very easy to split in halfs.
I am going to try the bath and re-intro on neutral grounds tomorrow night so fingers crossed.

I guess if she **** doesn't warm up to the girls I will need to get a her a friend anyway as i wouldn't want her on her own.

I could really kick myself as I should really have done that before the op. They all got on fine before she had it and were only separated for a few days and as hey could still see and smell each other I assumed it would be fine.mallethead

My BF thinks it's all one big plot to get more piggies rolleyes

Fingers crossed the intros work tomorrow

x

Status
Not open for further replies.