• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fat guine pig

How do I get my guine pig to stop eating all the time

• My guine pigeats to much

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My guine pig is fat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kimmy1717

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 2 guine pigs one is still some what a baby and the other one is a little bit older what is best to feed them I have been feeding them the food you get from Walmart and the youngest one eats all the time and he is alittle fat so idk what to do I have them both in a medium size cage and they play all the time but the younger one is still eating all the time here’s a picture of the little one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 18
Welcome to the forum! You’ll find lots of information here.

I’ll do what I can to help.

Pellets
Please feed plain pellets with no colored, added food. The pellets you are currently using have this. Plain pellets are much healthier. I use oxbow pellets, which can be found on amazon or at pet stores. Be sure to only feed 1/8 cup of pellets per piggy, no matter what pellet you use. You would have to feed 1/4 cup daily altogether.

Cage Size
Guinea pigs need lots of room to exercise, as they cannot use running wheels. Do you know the square footage of your cage, or the dimensions?

Hay
In addition to a supply of pellets, guinea pigs need unlimited hay. I recommend buying this in bulk.

Veggies
Guinea pigs need approximately one cup of green veggies a day, each. This chart can help you out: www.guineapigcages.com/food/Veggie-and-Fruit-Charts.pdf

Vitamin C
This is essential for guinea pigs. Some people think it is supplied through pellets, but most pellets give one guinea pig less than 7g a day. Even the good pellets don’t provide enough vitamin c for guinea pigs. I use a supplement to make sure my guinea pigs get enough. This prevents diseases.

Your guinea pig does not look overweight. Guinea pigs naturally look like that; it’s normal. Still, it’s important to keep them healthy with a correct diet and cage size. Please let us know your cage dimensions.

Piggies need access to good quality hay 24/7. 8O% of the diet needs to be hay, then fresh veg and lastly pellets. Piggies do eat loads as they have a fast metabolism.

Guinea pigs are basically appetites with fur.
What matters is good quality food. Lots of hay and plenty of opportunity for exercise.
If scrunched up a piggy can look like a ball of fur but look sleeker when stretched out.

Fat is different to heavy, remember (both humans and piggies!) that muscle and strong bones weigh a lot heavier than fat!
Piggle weighs twice as much as Theo although neither looks particularly fat. Piggle is very chunky but the vet assures me she can feel ribs under that kilo of rippling muscle! Theo's previous owner didnt let him exercise much so he's a bit weedy although he has a chubby tummy. We are working on that with daily 4 hour sessions in the big 6ft playpen and more to come after his quarantine and "plum fairy" operation :)
I actually worry mine dont eat enough, I worry what if they run out of hay and their guts stop processing or what if they run out of peppers and spinach and their vitamin c levels drop while I'm at work? All this is admittedly very unlikely but as I understand things they are supposed to constantly nibble unlimited natural unprocessed foods throughout the day... mine hardly ever eat the pellets which I take as a good sign!

Also probably different breeds have different builds and different weights? Would that be correct? Piggle's dad was a himalayan and they are quite chunky... I'm sure sleek streamlined Puggle teases her about this in secret but Piggle's dad (and twin brother) were proper himalayan looking while Piggle just has a generously proportioned physique and black ears and one squinty pink eye plus a normal dark one... which is getting off topic but unlimited hay and plenty veggies as advice definitely!

(Sorry again off topic but by way of explanation for my digressions both girls are in season at the same time and desperate to meet Theo so I'm rather distracted from normal coherent posts by the hormonal miasma smell in my house and also Theo wont put his willy away and eat his spinach)

Back