• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fat Lumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Kelly

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bit of background... Peter is at least 5 years old neutered male living with his 2 remaining wives after Bea's passing. Around a year-2 years ago I noticed he had a couple of lumps and the vets operated after biopsy proved inconclusive. When the vet went in she found literally tons of tiny little lumps across his chest, she removed the biggest and a small one thinking that he had cancer and was preparing me for the worst. However, turned out he was full of fat lumps and we were told they would continue to grow but to keep an eye on him.

Poor Peter is a bit misshapen these days thanks to one on his side near his back right leg and one at the top of the back right leg joint and more recently he seems a bit jumpy when he walks (the one on his side has gotten rather large again). Today I noticed he was overly grooming himself so have got him out for a check over and he has barbered the hair around the side lump, he hasn't damaged the skin at all but my concern is that it is bothering him.

Given the sheer number and spread of the lumps, and the fact that it took him over a month to get back to his usual self after the last operation (not to mention he's getting on in years now) I'm quite reluctant to consider any further operations as I don't think it's fair on him. He seems happy enough in himself, his appetite, his weight and general attitude seems absolutely normal! I wondered if anyone had experience in this area and knew anymore about what the options are? Is the barbering a sign of discomfort?

Hey, just wanted to say, Stan has lumps all over his chest and belly and has had for a few years now. He also had a biopsy that was inconclusive so we decided to keep an eye on him and see if they grew etc. They have never got any bigger and he has only gained one more since the originals were found. He does not appear to be in any discomfort with them. Hope Peter is ok. I dont know about the barbering sorry. x

Peters fine in himself, this one lump is where the first one was removed and has grown a bit in the last couple of weeks. His other lumps (and there are a fair few) don't seem to be growing really. The only experience I have of a piggy barbering themselves is when Bea did a strip down near her lady parts, she had a uti and after treatment seemed fine, it grew back and she didn't do it again. I'm thinking I should try and get to the vets this week and see what Jen recommends.

Well I've been to the vets this morning, didn't get Jen as she's left (something wrong with my vets practice, they can't seem to keep hold of a vet for very long). I got told that the locum was knowledgeable with piggies (I kid you not, they said her name was Macarena!). Well she confirmed my feelings that a GA at his age would be risky especially given his other lumps and that it wouldn't necessarily be solving a problem.

However, worse news was to come. She had a good feel of him and his lymph nodes in groin, armpits and under his chin are all enlarged (the chin ones are barely noticeable, took me ages to feel). She highly suspects that he has Lymphoma and that an operation to remove the troublesome lump would be even more risky for him if this is the case.

It means we are left with managing him how he is, he clearly has some discomfort with his leg but is spritely and happy, eating and pooping normally with no sign of pain. In fact when I have put him back in the hutch he went straight into a rumblestrut and chased his wives around a bit.

Obviously this new potential diagnosis has left me devastated especially after losing his favourite wife, Bea, in January. I remember when we got Peter nearly 4 years ago from @AbiS after several failed boar bondings and having watched him grow into his elderly gentlepig manner. After all these years and he will still fight to get off me so he doesn't have to poo or wee on me :))

So sorry to hear about Peter's poor health, it must be such a worrying time for you. I do hope he remains comfortable whatever his future may hold.

I am not sure you were wanting to hear back form the person you got Peter from but I just wanted to make you aware that you tagged me instead of the person you intended. Would hate for them to miss this post.

oops sorry Abi, I wasn't meaning to tag anyone, I was writing this on my phone on my way home so obviously the fat fingers have got in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back