Feeding and new home

Piggyfriends

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

My bereaved 2 years old piggy will have to babies to cheer her up (hopefully!). If she accepts them and can move in together I am just wondering how to feed them. Will they have different dietary needs? The little ones will be 4 and 5 weeks old. At the moment I am feeding my piggy with Harringtons optimum. In their home I would have 2 water bottles (one lower down for the little ones) and a larger feeding area. Would it be better to have 2 separate feeding areas? The house at the moment is a three level 'mansion' around 10 square feet as it was designed for 2 piggies. It has a base level for food and drink, a middle for 'exercise' and a third for rest with soft hiding places.
We are hoping to add another level for the three of them as I think 10 square feet would be too small. Their mansion is in our living room so they will be indoors with floor time in the living room or in the garden. I know I need to be prepared if the little ones won't get accepted than I could separate the house into 2 x 2 levels. So maybe 2 feeding stations to prepare for this scenario is better?

Could I ask for any practical advice please? I need to tell my husband exactly what modification I need so that he can get started.

Thank you!

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Your baby piggies will be fine to eat the optimum Harrington’s guinea pig food. I had my Ellen at 6 weeks old and she ate Harrington’s food straight away.

Do you have a photo of your set up? It may help members to advise further

Piggyfriends

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you!

I can't find my pictures... I took them 2 years ago. The house is basically handmade from wooden cladding with little ramps to each level. It looks like a deep book shelf with ramps between the levels. One self is 90 cm wide and 38 cm deep the front is transparent plastic with gap on the top for air circulation. I hope this helps.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
It might be too small then as when calculating guinea pig housing, you only take one level in to account as sadly extra levels don’t count on floor space. 120cm for two guinea pigs is the minimum requirement x