• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Feeding hay from pets at home

Abirose

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was just topping up my Guinea pigs hay rack, with Burgess Excel feeding hay with Dandelion & Marigold and was shocked to find in the bag a handful of orange bale twine (2 inch long pieces). Just letting you know to keep a look out if you use this feeding hay.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
You should always keep an eye on any hay as there is always any chance of twine, stones or even dead wildlife has been found :yikes: due to the way hay is grown and farmed there's always going to be some risk though large objects should be avoided. I would take a photo and email it to Burgess. I found something odd in my 10kg bag of pellets and asked science selective on twitter out of curiousity rather than complaining but they said they would send me a free bag anyway... I was expecting maybe a 2kg bag but nope they sent another 10kg

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. I'd let them know as they are pretty hot on quality control at Burgess, something's gone wrong in their checking!
I've had blue twine in several bags of another make, so always check each handful as I fill the hay boxes now.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
After once finding a dead rat in a bag of hay, I now always empty the hay in to a black bin bag and run my fingers through it (thankfully the rat was at the top of the bag and we could smell it as soon as we opened the bag) Thanks for the warning