• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Feeding the guinea pigs at TEAS

@furryfriends (TEAS) and anyone who wants to help me.

Since I have been taking tips from this thread, Dot hasn't had any blood in urine ( she has intertestial cystitis) neither has she had any milky urine around her vulva since.

She has been on Cystease for around 3 months now, I am on the verge of taking her off it and seeing how she goes, A. Because its stressing her out when I have to try and catch her everyday out of the cage, B. Because Cystease is expensive to keep buying.

What do you think? What would you do?
Who suggested you use the Cystease? Simon or Kim? It might be worth sending them an email and asking their advice. Say that you've been feeding a much wetter diet, with good results and ask what they would suggest.

Who suggested you use the Cystease? Simon or Kim? It might be worth sending them an email and asking their advice. Say that you've been feeding a much wetter diet, with good results and ask what they would suggest.
Ok, I think il do that, because I mentioned it to Simon ages ago, and he said it's worth trying it

Just purchased some ready grass not half an hour ago, I've seen everywhere that it shouldn't be fed too much, but how is this any different to fresh grass? I don't understand

Oh wow! This thread is so interesting and has made me rethink what I'm doing! Since my girls had a mild tummy upset, I've cut down on veg a lot, because their poops have been much better. I'm only just making the connection that Meryn is struggling with bladder issues and the timing would more or less be shortly after I cut down their veggies! Vet thinks it's IC but we're currently trying a course of antibiotics, but she's being a nightmare taking them, and that's stressing her out more - so I've ended up putting the ab's into a teaspoon of critical care, in an effort to get it down her without adding more stress! She's still squeaking when peeing though. Thank you @furryfriends (TEAS) for this thread - I am so going to start adding back in the veggies slowly! They love the leaves, but because Fifi gets a gurgling tummy after spring greens and Meryn doesn't - I stopped those as Meryn doesn't like being away from Fi, and then I had to stop the mixed salad leaves because she was squeaking and lettuce was bad for IC? Is any of this making sense? I'm kind of blown away.

Oh wow! This thread is so interesting and has made me rethink what I'm doing! Since my girls had a mild tummy upset, I've cut down on veg a lot, because their poops have been much better. I'm only just making the connection that Meryn is struggling with bladder issues and the timing would more or less be shortly after I cut down their veggies! Vet thinks it's IC but we're currently trying a course of antibiotics, but she's being a nightmare taking them, and that's stressing her out more - so I've ended up putting the ab's into a teaspoon of critical care, in an effort to get it down her without adding more stress! She's still squeaking when peeing though. Thank you @furryfriends (TEAS) for this thread - I am so going to start adding back in the veggies slowly! They love the leaves, but because Fifi gets a gurgling tummy after spring greens and Meryn doesn't - I stopped those as Meryn doesn't like being away from Fi, and then I had to stop the mixed salad leaves because she was squeaking and lettuce was bad for IC? Is any of this making sense? I'm kind of blown away.
Different guinea pigs with I. C seem to have different trigger goods, Dot is fine with mixed leaf lettuce, but kale and dill seemed to trigger her bladder again. But now I'm feeding everything wet under the tap, she's not had a problem since, but this could be that her ic flare has settled. I'm waiting to see if it ever flares again after the wet diet method.

If nothing flares up again il report back here with an update. Il know in a few months time

So far I have found that it's literally just grass chopped short with all the water content taken out. That's written on pets at homes Web page

So far I have found that it's literally just grass chopped short with all the water content taken out. That's written on pets at homes Web page

How does that make it richer though? I’d love to understand this - same principle with dried herbs and fruit - as in fresh is best! Dried - feed sparingly.

Different guinea pigs with I. C seem to have different trigger goods, Dot is fine with mixed leaf lettuce, but kale and dill seemed to trigger her bladder again. But now I'm feeding everything wet under the tap, she's not had a problem since, but this could be that her ic flare has settled. I'm waiting to see if it ever flares again after the wet diet method.

If nothing flares up again il report back here with an update. Il know in a few months time

How long did it take before you started noticing a difference with the IC?

How does that make it richer though? I’d love to understand this - same principle with dried herbs and fruit - as in fresh is best! Dried - feed sparingly.
Thats what I want to know 🤔 and why it's only meant for rabbits and nothing else on the packet and website.

But the oat version ( blue bag) and Timothy grass version ( pink bag) shows a guinea pig and rabbit, possibly chinchilla aswell

Just purchased some ready grass not half an hour ago, I've seen everywhere that it shouldn't be fed too much, but how is this any different to fresh grass? I don't understand
I gave up feeding it with bladder pig Rupert as knew it had more calcium and I worried with what I read that it could be adding to his stone issues but have been feeding it again recently. Every other day but may go to daily if others have no problems with it. Pigs love it and it smells so lovely. My chins had it and loved it too (but they need more calcium than piggles).

I gave up feeding it with bladder pig Rupert as knew it had more calcium and I worried with what I read that it could be adding to his stone issues but have been feeding it again recently. Every other day but may go to daily if others have no problems with it. Pigs love it and it smells so lovely. My chins had it and loved it too (but they need more calcium than piggles).
Fair enough, but what I'm trying to debunk is. How can anyone know if it has anymore calcium than fresh grass? I can see why it should be fed less due to having no water content. But that's all

Back