Feeding Young Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLG1985

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So... I've decided to add to my clan of fur and I'll be getting another pair of ladies in the next few week. I'm mid way through doing a mass online order of supplies. My older sows are on a low calcium, low fat food as one is prone to stones and the other is a little large. I know I'm going to have to get something alfalfa based for the babies for the first 8-12 months, but how much should I give them?

As pretty much all the UK based pellet brands that are available in shop are alfalfa based, all you have to do is feed a slightly higher quantity of pellets, as the extra amount needed is actually very small indeed. Overfeeding alfalfa will only result in a quicker and short initial growth phase of about 4-6 months instead of a slightly more prolonged one. I haven't given my three foster baby sisters any extra pellets while they were growing up, as they are living in a group with adults, but at 9 months old, they are all an ideal adult weight of 1000-1200g, lively and perfectly healthy. But they had a more stable growth phase as a result, instead of a run-and-stop type of growth. ;)

You may find this thread here helpful: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/
PS: If you wish, you can feed just the veg listed under daily veg and use them for a balanced low calcium diet for your adults. This, or similar diets, work well for various members who are dealing with long term bladder issues in their adult piggies. I would enquire about pellets that are not based on alfalfa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back