• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Feel like a bad owner

MiloAndJake

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I feel like such a bad owner. My 2 peruvian boys have ended up with their bottom ends matted and i physically can’t sort it myself i’ve tried so hard but they just wriggle and scratch and cry and i don’t know what to do. Does anyone know if places like pets at home offer grooming? Or anything like that. I’m stuck on what to do, i don’t want it to get worse! I’ve tried my best to cut little bits out but they really just won’t let me do anymore than i have i need a professional.

The best thing to do is go to a vets where they will be able to sort them out for you and can give you advice about how to manage their coats in the future. I wouldn't think dog groomers would help with piggies.

I have a long haired boy and keep his hair short around his bottom and brush his hair daily. You do need to keep on top of it.

My local independent pet shop (supplies only, no animals) does grooming as well, including Guinea pigs, is there anything similar in your area perhaps? Or you could phone your vets and ask if they know of anyone, vets often have a list of pet related services.

One of the top reasons vets see longhaired animals is to remove mats, so I wouldnt worry, they've seen it all before and know how easily it happens. Usually a vet nurse can do it for a very reasonable price, some dog groomers will also see piggies, but not all, so you would have to ask if they had any experience doing them first.

I would start with getting the matted hair cut with scissors and get help if you can't sort it out yourself. If you keep it short then it won't become matted.
I always have to keep up with my Finn's long hair too. However, my Finn is really good about participating in his grooming needs with his long hair cut and his nails cut.

Lara doesn't have long hair but she doesn't like her nails cut so I always have to have help. She runs away and struggles.

A friend who worked in the groom room in Pets At Home said they groomed a guinea pig once 😄 I bet your vet could recommend? When our Fudge was nearing the end her long skirt got ever so wet as she was dribbling wee. We asked the vet to shave it back for us protect her skin :)

I would get a vet nurse to do it and show you some techniques for grooming yourself.
I’ve recently acquired a long haired piggy and found that a towel and lots of food worked (we went through the best part of a packet of dill all for a hair do that wasn’t going to win any prizes!)

Forgot to add, we've got a long haired sow named Ginge who HATES having her hair cut! She's got no eyes so she's very sensitive bless but I'm guessing this would work for sighted piggies too?
I use piggy nail clippers to cut her hair in sections! It cuts through so easily, no pulling, no hacking or repeat cutting like with scissors and if she struggles, the blunt, bladeless ends don't hurt her :)

Have you tried removing the mats with an electric shaver? It does wonders when completely trimming our absyninnian for the summer months. He typically gets a shave twice a year now (once in the early summer, and usually again mid-summer). It really is a 2 person job, so try to find someone to help you. We put a towel on our lap, take out his favorite treats, and go to town! You will want to get them used to the sound first before actually shaving them, though.

On top of the whole body trim, we have to trim his sanitary area about every other month or so. Sometimes we need to use scissors. It takes patience, and a lot of treats, but don't be afraid to split it into two or three sessions. Do the best you can in one session, and then try again the next day. You can ask someone to hold the piggy, and distract them with treats while you trim away. It's hard at first, but with practice and patience they get better and more used to it, and they really do appreciate the grooming once it's done!

Best of luck!

Back