• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Feeling sad

Guinea Slave

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I lost one of my beautiful guineas to cancer yesterday. It was a short but very painful battle and I did not expect to lose him. Sadly he suffered yesterday and whilst he was under a great vet who had seen him in the morning and on Saturday, he went downhill so fast he was dying in the car whilst I drove him to be pts. Seeing him like that really upset me.

I know its grief and sadly having lost so many animals over the last 2 decades I know the feelings well, but do you ever wonder why you do this to yourself? I know I get so upset from the care, to the day you have to have them pts to when they get cremated (which also kills me). People who are close to me wonder why I do this to myself. Do you ever question this ? Maybe i just overreact and I shouldnt get so upset, but I also wonder if maybe I am just not cut out to have animals, I get too close :-(. I dont ride horses any more having lost two (one to a broken leg and another to a heart attack) maybe I should just admire from afar. Sorry for sad post but I just wondered what others thought? You guys are always so supportive and understanding.

:hug:I am so sorry to hear about your boy.
He was clearly deeply loved and received the absolute best care possible.

Loss is always hard, so be kind to yourself right now.
The depth of our sorrow is the height of our joy.

The sorrow part is hard and can feel overwhelming, but I wouldn't want to miss out on the joy that having animals as part of my life brings.

But only you can know what is right for you. I am thinking of you and am very sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear about your lovely boy that must have been very difficult. :hug:

:agr: With @Swissgreys they bring you so much joy between the difficult parts but it can be hard to see that when you’re feeling their loss.

I completely get the feeling of ‘why am I doing this to myself’ as I’m very much the same and beat myself up about every little thing but you have to try and think about it from their point of view - They’ve had a lovely life with you and would have been spoilt rotten whereas some animals aren’t so lucky and end up in awful homes with people that could care less about their animals.
When I’m beating myself up and feeling down I try to remind myself of that and that you’re doing all you can for your animals.

Hope I haven’t waffled too much. We’re all here for you, be kind to yourself :luv:

Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need of hell.
It reminds us of the ones we love, and the precious time we have with them.
Through the pain of loss, we celebrate life and love. And the hope that one day we will be reunited.

Take time to grieve. Be kind to yourself, and keep loving

Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need of hell.
It reminds us of the ones we love, and the precious time we have with them.
Through the pain of loss, we celebrate life and love. And the hope that one day we will be reunited.

Take time to grieve. Be kind to yourself, and keep loving

What a great quote. Hell is a good description.

Thank you guys for all your heart felt words. Its so hard isnt it. I went out the shed this morning and you are right, their little hopeful faces and noses and the fact that every day they do something funny to make you laugh, does balance things somewhat. I did miss Mr fuzzy face this morning when I went to get their grass, he used to sit at the front and stare through the window at me until the grass came.

I wish I could be like them though, they are so pragmatic about life and death. A few days ago they knew something was up, even the ones in the 'penthouse' looking over the main cage. They didnt want to be caught, touched and kept running away from me. When he was finally pts I laid his body in the cage (the others again watched from above) and they all said their goodbyes, one of them slept by him for 20 mins or (I was able to sneak watch on my video camera) and then they were done. Back to normal popcorning and wheaking for food that evening whilst I cried my eyes out. They are such amazing creatures, I just wish I had their strength and view on life.

Back