• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Feeling very guilty- adhesions :/

Emx93

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
wasn't sure whether to post this hear or H and I

So its 2 days short of a year since fluffy was spayed. while the surgery went great she was very poorly post op as I'm sure you can all remember. A couple of months post spay she got a huge hernia in her spay site, when they went in to repair it they found a lot of adhesions so they managed to fix the hernia but couldn't repair the muscle or something as it was too badly damaged. A few weeks after this we found out her friend had an inoperable tumour, fluffy was very protective of her friend during her illness and we put her odd behaviour down to her friends illness. just before her friend died fluffy went off it completely too and was checked by a vet and reassured all was fine. After her friend died fluffy got worse just sitting in a corner, loosing weight etc. she had a string of unsuccessful dates where her fear aggression kicked in and she became very aggressive, but eventually bonded with two very shy unthreatening baby girls. She kept getting weird white bits down below which we would treat with a week of metacam... whenever she was on metacam she would be 100percent herself. At this point a month after bonding with new healthy friends she would still not seem right when not on metacam so id had enough of not knowing what was going on and pushed to get a vet appointment and have tests done to find out what was wrong. Turns out its her adhesions causing pain, what a blooming nightmare as now all I can think is has she been in pain the past year and weve been oblivious? if so no wonder she felt threatened by other pigs! She's totally fine now she's on long term metacam we just need to feed her up as she's a bit bony. but how could I have not known? no one said they'd cause her pain, she was 2 and otherwise healthy so she shouldn't have a pain issue but I cant stop feeling awful about it! sorry for the rant just wasn't something I knew could cause a problem so may be worth bearing in mind if you have a post op pig that's just not themselves months down the line... its obvious now we know, if I'm late giving metacam shell be all sulky in a corner and teeth chatter at me when i go to pick her up.

Don't feel guilty, you weren't to know. You had her vet checked and gave her the best of care, you couldn't have done more. You do so much for your animals and are the best mummy to your 2 and 4 legged charges. I hope you can keep Fluffy pain free and happy now you know what the problem is. Sending you and yours hugs. Xx

Don't feel guilty, you weren't to know. You had her vet checked and gave her the best of care, you couldn't have done more. You do so much for your animals and are the best mummy to your 2 and 4 legged charges. I hope you can keep Fluffy pain free and happy now you know what the problem is. Sending you and yours hugs. Xx
Thankyou, rationally I know there's no way wed have known, but I still feel guilty looking back at the past year, just cant help it. Feel so bad for her. now onto the challenge of feeding her up!

What a nightmare you have been through. Don't blame yourself piggies are very good at hiding symptoms. If you want to put weight gain on Fluffy try grated sweet potato, grated apple and a few oats. That goes down well.

What a nightmare you have been through. Don't blame yourself piggies are very good at hiding symptoms. If you want to put weight gain on Fluffy try grated sweet potato, grated apple and a few oats. That goes down well.
Thankyou she does like apple and oats, will have to try sweet potato too!

This sounds awful, but there is no way you could have known and you did all you could to find out. If only they could speak, life would be so much easier.
Hopefully she feels more like herself with the metacam and can get on enjoying her life.xx

Poor Fluffy, and poor you- but you shouldn't feel guilty, you do everything you can for all your animals and always get them the best vet care as fast as you can! She certainly needed her spay and wouldnt be with you now without the operation, and it sounds like your vet did an amazing job patching her up when many vets would have thought the damage too severe to try and repair.
Hope the metacam can keep her comfy and pain free, I would also recommend a bit of grated sweet potato to help bulk her up a bit x

I can only echo everybody else’s words. You couldn’t have known. Sending hugs :hug:

Poor Fluffy, and poor you- but you shouldn't feel guilty, you do everything you can for all your animals and always get them the best vet care as fast as you can! She certainly needed her spay and wouldnt be with you now without the operation, and it sounds like your vet did an amazing job patching her up when many vets would have thought the damage too severe to try and repair.
Hope the metacam can keep her comfy and pain free, I would also recommend a bit of grated sweet potato to help bulk her up a bit x
Thankyou the thing is when they spayed her it turned out there were no cysts :yikes:, it did however stop the constantly in season behaviour and funky discharge so I'm still glad we did it because at least she has friends :) it was my favourite locum who did the hernia repair, at first I was slightly horrified it wasn't my usual piggy vet but she really seemed to know her stuff! i remember her showing me pictures of adhesions and saying she didnt expect to find them and panicked when she opened her up and the damage was like that. i mean I'm just glad we finally know the problem months down the line and shes sorted, just kicking myself i didnt ask if the adhesions would cause problems when they found them!

Thankyou everyone, I'm just happy that while a pain in the bum, its easily managed by giving Metacam and really isn't serious, just mum guilt that she's been uncomfortable previously without the Metacam. :hug:

Please don't feel guilty you did everything right. From my understanding in humans adhesions aren't painful in the way we usually experience pain but is more like a tightness and pulling sensation. Sort of like you can feel it's there and maybe when you exercise or twist the wrong way you feel it pull inside but not in the same way we would feel pain if you cut or burn yourself. I don't think I have adhesions with my condition but some of my friends do and that's more how they describe it

Please don't feel guilty you did everything right. From my understanding in humans adhesions aren't painful in the way we usually experience pain but is more like a tightness and pulling sensation. Sort of like you can feel it's there and maybe when you exercise or twist the wrong way you feel it pull inside but not in the same way we would feel pain if you cut or burn yourself. I don't think I have adhesions with my condition but some of my friends do and that's more how they describe it
Is it like scar tissue? I have lots of that from my 3 c sections and I definitely know about it if I twist or stretch the wrong way or when I'm about to get a visit from mother nature lol 😂

wasn't sure whether to post this hear or H and I

So its 2 days short of a year since fluffy was spayed. while the surgery went great she was very poorly post op as I'm sure you can all remember. A couple of months post spay she got a huge hernia in her spay site, when they went in to repair it they found a lot of adhesions so they managed to fix the hernia but couldn't repair the muscle or something as it was too badly damaged. A few weeks after this we found out her friend had an inoperable tumour, fluffy was very protective of her friend during her illness and we put her odd behaviour down to her friends illness. just before her friend died fluffy went off it completely too and was checked by a vet and reassured all was fine. After her friend died fluffy got worse just sitting in a corner, loosing weight etc. she had a string of unsuccessful dates where her fear aggression kicked in and she became very aggressive, but eventually bonded with two very shy unthreatening baby girls. She kept getting weird white bits down below which we would treat with a week of metacam... whenever she was on metacam she would be 100percent herself. At this point a month after bonding with new healthy friends she would still not seem right when not on metacam so id had enough of not knowing what was going on and pushed to get a vet appointment and have tests done to find out what was wrong. Turns out its her adhesions causing pain, what a blooming nightmare as now all I can think is has she been in pain the past year and weve been oblivious? if so no wonder she felt threatened by other pigs! She's totally fine now she's on long term metacam we just need to feed her up as she's a bit bony. but how could I have not known? no one said they'd cause her pain, she was 2 and otherwise healthy so she shouldn't have a pain issue but I cant stop feeling awful about it! sorry for the rant just wasn't something I knew could cause a problem so may be worth bearing in mind if you have a post op pig that's just not themselves months down the line... its obvious now we know, if I'm late giving metacam shell be all sulky in a corner and teeth chatter at me when i go to pick her up.

We are wired to see everything as our own fault, especially at the onset of the grieving process. But you can only prevent what you know. Sadly stuff happens all the time. Take responsibility for what really is in your control and in the purvue of any good owner - to give your piggies a happy life and seek vet care as soon as you realise that something is not right. What you cannot control is what illness/complications your piggies develop, when they die and what from if there are no clear symptoms or hints. None of us is all-knowing and all-seeing God.

Please read this guide here. It will hopefully help you; if not, please seek help with the resources listed in the guide. The best way is to talk and to express yourself so you can process your feelings.
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

We are wired to see everything as our own fault, especially at the onset of the grieving process. But you can only prevent what you know. Sadly stuff happens all the time. Take responsibility for what really is in your control and in the purvue of any good owner - to give your piggies a happy life and seek vet care as soon as you realise that something is not right. What you cannot control is what illness/complications your piggies develop, when they die and what from if there are no clear symptoms or hints. None of us is all-knowing and all-seeing God.

Please read this guide here. It will hopefully help you; if not, please seek help with the resources listed in the guide. The best way is to talk and to express yourself so you can process your feelings.
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Thankyou for this, fluffy is thankfully totally fine now she's on metacam I just feel bad that I didn't realise she needed it due to thinking she was grieving for her friend 😳

Is it like scar tissue? I have lots of that from my 3 c sections and I definitely know about it if I twist or stretch the wrong way or when I'm about to get a visit from mother nature lol 😂

Adhesions are scar tissue yes, just this scar tissue sticks organs together or to the abdomen wall

Aw don’t feel bad x I often wish they could speak to us and tell us how they are feeling. It would be so much easier. You are a very caring person and there’s no way you would ignore a piggie in pain. Fluffy will feel so much happier now on long term Metacam, what would we do without it 😆

Aw don’t feel bad x I often wish they could speak to us and tell us how they are feeling. It would be so much easier. You are a very caring person and there’s no way you would ignore a piggie in pain. Fluffy will feel so much happier now on long term Metacam, what would we do without it 😆
Haha well my vets are that sick of seeing me that they keep joking I just miss them 😂😂 so I definitely don't ignore poorly pets, I admit getting a vet appointment over the last few months hasn't exactly been easy though 😳🙄 yes metacam is the answer to everything isn't it and she's only on a small dose 😁 she's quite the drama at the best of times I remember the squeels that came out of her when she had a pain relief injection post op, I'm sure they could hear her in the carpark it was that loud 😂😳

Back