• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Felt Tunnel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've made a Felt tunnel (not the roof felt, the craft felt). Will this be harmful if chewed or swallowed?
Also... can I make a Felt corner hammock?

I would say it's better to use fleece, for a start fleece is better with regards to liquid absorption, if you wash fleece 3 times and do not use fabric conditioner, it will wick fluid away from the surface whereas I don't think felt does this, so the piggies may be lying on wet felt which is not good for them :)

Oh I just realise that is one of my tunnels there <<<<<<< in my pic lol :)) That is fleece ;)

I would say it's better to use fleece, for a start fleece is better with regards to liquid absorption, if you wash fleece 3 times and do not use fabric conditioner, it will wick fluid away from the surface whereas I don't think felt does this, so the piggies may be lying on wet felt which is not good for them :)

Oh I just realise that is one of my tunnels there <<<<<<< in my pic lol :)) That is fleece ;)

I don't want to use it as a bedding, just a tunnel. It's just the matter of it being harmful that I'm concerned about. Thanks for replying though. ;))

I knew that :) But you asked if felt was safe, I would say not as the fibres are different, for example felt is not strong enough to use for hammocks, the fibres come apart easily so there is a risk that your piggies could chew & swallow the loose fibres :) Fleece is woven ina stronger way & I have hammocks & tunnels made of fleece that I know are fine & wash well.

I knew that :) But you asked if felt was safe, I would say not as the fibres are different, for example felt is not strong enough to use for hammocks, the fibres come apart easily so there is a risk that your piggies could chew & swallow the loose fibres :) Fleece is woven ina stronger way & I have hammocks & tunnels made of fleece that I know are fine & wash well.

Thanks, I will remove the tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back