• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Few questions about keeping piggys

Piggy101

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Theres two in a wooden cage with an upper part and lower part. Natural kitty litter is the bedding in there. How often should I clean it? And how in depth? other than scooping the bedding. Should I take everything out and spray it down with a vinegar cleaner and wipe it out? Especially since its wood I know it will stink if not kept clean. Also they've been REALLY bad about chewing on the inside of the cage theres pieces of metal in some spots but they just chew on other places, I just got them because me taking them was their last option. Its very hard to find homes for pets like this of course. I know that chewing can be because they're bored, and since they lived in that caged I'm sure they are bored out of their mind. Also my other question is if theres anything I can do to make bedding not end up all in my floor, since I have carpet you can imagine how nasty that will get. Any advice would be very appreciated:)

Cat litter isn’t a good idea for bedding, particularly if it is clump forming (that is dangerous for them if they eat it).
I’ll add in a bedding guide below for you to read to give you ideas on safe guinea pig bedding - hay, fleece, aubiose etc are the most commonly used
You need to spot clean out wet bedding and poops every day and replace with dry bedding, or if you bed them on fleece, you sweep up poops and replace the fleece every few days. Then Take everything out and clean the entire cage and replace all the bedding once or twice per week
Guinea pigs chew - it’s simply what they do! Ensure they have got lots of hay to chew - its their main food source. I’ll also add in an enrichment guide as it’ll give you ideas on how to keep them occupied. Make sure they come out for floor time and play time outside of their cage - ideally daily but otherwise as often as you can manage
Lining the cage and having a small lip up the side so bedding can’t get out would help. If you use fleece, then other than hay they’ll eat, there is no disposable and messy bedding to fall out the cage

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Thank you so much! And how would I let them out to play? Without them getting poop everywhere and getting under my bed lol

Thank you so much! And how would I let them out to play? Without them getting poop everywhere and getting under my bed lol

In in a large play pen with bedding put down (a plastic sheet on the floor then puppy pads on top for example), or Having them out in a safe and secure run outside on grass

Couldnt they get fleas? I've always been worried about that

I have them out now on the hardwood floor, they havent moved lol. 20200519_123150.jpg

Guinea pigs don’t have a species specific flea. So if a flea goes onto them, then they tend not to stay long. They can get mites and lice though.

They will be scared! They need hides and tunnels to run into to feel secure. It takes time for them to feel comfortable out in the open

I had some boxes and stuff for them to go into but I think I need to wait until I get fix them up a proper place to play I just wanted to get them out some I know theyve been cooped up for too long :)

Back