• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Fighting boars (teenagers)

Pebbles26

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi, my boars are getting quite bad now, and this morning someones fur was ripped out across the cage, ive checked both, no blood, but ive noticed my bigger boar, is bullying the other one, chases him from the hay piles, and bowls, and last night he was in his house eating a vegetable and my bigger boar went in there and fought him for it, even know there was 2 bowls full of vegetables, i feel really sorry for my timid one, my question i can separate my c&c cage in half, but they will only have just over 90cm by 60cm each, is that too small? or any other ideas? do I need to seperate them? ps they do go in the massive garden run everyday for over an hour, (they dont seem to fight out there) lol thanks

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi I'm sorry I can't give you any solid advice only ideas of things I would try myself if I was in your position. How about some environmental enrichment? I.e new toys, change around of their furniture every day or every few days? Hide some pellets around maybe... Things like that might work. It might take mr teasy's mind off being a bully. I wouldn't separate them myself. I'd be worried that they'd never be able to go back together again. I hope that you find a way to resolve your situation soon

G&C

Junior Guinea Pig
I’ve had this happen, and blood was drawn! When they faught we put them in the run (larger space) until they sorted it out. They sorted it out once the submissive piggy submitted and let out a loud squeak and it’s not happened again (to that extent). It’s advised on here not to separate unless blood is drawn. I guess the question is do they have enough room in the cage together? Is there 2 of everything.? Are there 2 exits to every hiding space? And how old are your boars?

If you separate the stress of reintroducing may be to high and reintroduction may be unsuccessful. But if you do, I don’t think the cage divided will be too small for each piggy in the short term.

Seven7

Teenage Guinea Pig
I wonder if a bigger cage might help them so when they want their own space, they can have a corner for themselves.
I read somewhere boars need more space and more toys otherwise they tend to fight.

Piggies&buns

Teenage Guinea Pig
I wonder if a bigger cage might help them so when they want their own space, they can have a corner for themselves.
I read somewhere boars need more space and more toys otherwise they tend to fight.
I agree with this. I’d look to make their cage bigger before separating (as long as the arguments between them haven’t got worse and blood has been drawn)
I have two boars. Since I increased their cage to a 5ft x 5ft cage things have improved. They still occasionally bicker, but it’s not a problem now as they have so much room to get away from each other.

Julie M

Forum Donator 2017/18
More space would definitely help. My boar pairs are in 2x7 and 2x6 c&c cages. The pair in the 2x6 still bicker occasionally but they’re a lot better with the space. I have hay areas at each end of the cage and 2 food bowls spaced out and 2 water bottles spaced out.

Pebbles26

Junior Guinea Pig
just to confirm, my boars are already in a 7x2 c&c cage, the measurements i put were my rubbish estimates if i have to split the cage in half to separate them, so its very large, ive currently put hay and beds at separate ends of the cage, and also when it's dinner time they are fed at different ends, so far so good and only a few rumble struts, so fingers crossed! :) i dont want to separate them if i can help it.

Natasha3589

Junior Guinea Pig
I have this problem atm. What I'm finding that helps is giving them lots of floor time, they currently running around in the sitting room x