• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

fighting boars

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snugglypig

We have had a huge scrap today with two of my Boars, had everyone out on the grass as weather is lovely and all of a sudden Elvis attacked Amadeo( they were in their own run) who was minding his own Business.
it was a big fight and Elvis has managed to puncture Amadeo's mouth and lip. I got in and knocked them apart and grabbed Amadeo who was really wheeking, blood everywhere.

have bathed his mouth in very mild antiseptic and water not easy and poor little guy kept biting me (don't blame at all)where it is. he is now back in the cage, will keep a close eye on him, his teeth are all still there.
but not sure how to house them tonight as I don't have a spare cage which isn't in use.

I may leave Bugsy out in the run ( the Rabbit he lived out all last summer) and put Elvis in the rabbit hutch for tonight on his own, shall i re introduce them later?

any advice greatly received

karen

Boars are a pain to be re-introduced once they start fighting. It may be best to pair them both up with another boar or leave them on their own.

I think I may have to build another cage they have squabbled in the past, but not like this.
I may get him neutered and put him with the girls

its a real pain I have 6 hutches and 4 outdoor runs looks like number 5 will have to be built thank goodness for Argos grids Lol

thanks karen

LOL, them grids are really handy aren't they?!

Yeah it may be best not try putting them together again. Little squabbles are fine, but when it comes to more than that, it's their friendship over!

If you do try putting them in together again you may have more than a split lip to deal with!

Thanks Kelly, I don't think I am going to chance it
Boys can be a real pain but Amadeo is real cute fo I think it is off to the vets ASAP for a little nip and tuck Lol and I will see how it gets on with the girls

I think I know what caused it I put my other boar in the other run quite close by and my Sows are the other side of the garden.

Think it must be the weather as pinky and perky who are 6 and never should any interest in doing boy things have been riding each other all morning at least they aren't fighting with each other, Lol
karennn

I adopted two brothers, Spike and Squirrely. They had a terrible adolsecence and had to be parted for 8 months. Each had a 2X3 cage and I let them share a common wall for company.

When together, they would just damage each other, like your boars. There were punctures under the chin, shredded ears, wounds on the backs and rears.

There are now together now that they are over that horrible adolesence. They will be 2 this October.

They are still in their cages but I swung open a grid and made a ramp for them to access each other's cage. I still give them separate food/pellet bowls just to prevent fights even now.

Sometimes you just gotta separate them for their own good.

The juvenile delinquents: Spike and Squirrely. See Spike's shredded ear?
Seahawkhouse135.jpg

LOL Karen!

Boys are often best just seperated to save the fights from getting any worse

Thanks Barbara,

my boys are almost 2 now aswell but this was the first real bad fight they have had, Amadeo is the quiet one and Elvis does tend to be dominent. I think it will be best to seperate and give him a quiet life bless him

karen

If this is the first real fight they have had, that is pretty good. If you can try, keep them together.

We had constant fighting so I had to separate them. I did try to keep them together though.

Once you separate them they will pine for each other and try hard to get back together, that is why the common wall was good for them. I put two super pet chairs on each side of the grids. They would sleep with their heads near each other. BUT the second you put them together they turned into a tornado of fur.

It is always better for them to be together short of damaging each other.

I think that if you try again Karen, but watch for signs of having a fight then it might work.

But not all works - they have been known to fight until one is seriously injured and I know that is one thing you don't want.

When breaking up a fight, use the "Dustpan of Doom" not your hands.

I ended up on antibiotics once after a deep bite from Stuart (it was my fault).
DustpanofDoom003.jpg

Thanks Barbara,

I love the idea of the dustpan of doom I was lucky yesterday I just yelled and they stopped I was dreading having to put my hands in,

I may try boys again today, Amadeo cried for Elvis all night which was a shame.

Back out on grass in the pen with no other piggies about and see what happens

thanks again
karen will keep you posted on what happens

Boars eh?

I have 6 single boars of my own and none of them will tolerate a friend. All of them have had pals in the past but clearly it has never worked out as all of my boys have been adopted from rescues as singles. I have tried various pairings but my stroppy lot just won't have it at all! They all live side by side in their own cages are all very happy lads. Some pigs just prefer the single life!

Please keep a very close eye on your boys if you do try to reintroduce them. Once blood has been drawn in a pairing there is often no going back and I have seen some terrible fight injuries on my own rescue boys and pigs that have come to me for rehoming.

Hi Starshine,

I have decided not to reintroduce, as I put them into my run which is devided and Elvis just growled the whole time I am going to get them neutered and Amadeo can go with the girls as he loves company and see if that works out.

Elvis will stay single

karen

Sounds like a great idea!

I have the most beautiful boy on foster here at the moment but he is single after a big fight with his brother. I am really considering getting him neutered then rehoming him to live with sows as he too is a very sociable chap but won't tolerate another boar anywhere near him.

My boys have been getting on really well for the last few weeks, :) they used to have butt wiggling, growling episodes.

But now they are a little bit older most of the time they get on fine, sometimes theres a flurry of shavings as 1 chases the other round the cage but its soon over and this morning I found the snuggled up in the same cuddle cup, and got a piccie! Never thought i'd see that ;D

All mine have had scraps from time to time, Rudi made a hole in Zubs ear so they were seperated just before Rudi died but saw each other alot, Harry and Zub had a fight which ended up with a split lip and now Zub bit Ed yesterday cos eds at the rumble stage and keeps mounting Zub and in the heat he doesnt like it! I cleaned his nose and hes ok now i wont seperate them unless ABSOLOUTLY nessercary as Ed is such great company for Zubin. i think the heat go to them yesteday

I really didint want to seperate them but, no option. put them out in the run today with the devider's and Elvis spent the whole time trying to eat him through the bars, he is butt strutting and growling,
they are sleeping in seperate cages and when in cages are squeeking all the time for each other is really sad.
I just don't want to too take the chance with them now there was too much blood on the weekend.

karen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back