Fighting Boars

Smalice123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I purchased two boars from pets at home four weeks ago and believe they are around 14 weeks old now. Unfortunately they do not get on and have had three fights the last one being on Friday were the bigger one of the two pinned the other one down and bit his face. I have kept them separated since then and don’t think there is any chance of them ever getting along. Unfortunately I do not have room for two cages permanently. I have spoken to many people about this including rescue centres and pets at home. I’ve been told that the best option is to have one re homed and if we want to keep the other one have him neutered and put him with a girl. I believe the pigs are too young to be neutered at the moment and then I would have to wait five weeks after the op for him to not be fertile anymore before putting him with a female.
I’m also not sure whether I should be keeping the other one until this stage so that they can still talk to each other even though they are in separate cages. I have heard that some rescue centres will
take both pigs and bond them with other pigs and then I keep one couple and the others are re homed. I just wondered if anyone could offer any advice and if anyone knows of a rescue centre that provide this service? Thanks

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m sorry they aren’t getting on. As character compatibility is key and it sounds like your two don’t have it, then things won’t get better for them.
what you do now is your decision, but you are right - your options are

Send one to a rescue centre for rebonding and rehoming and bond the one you will keep with a character compatible friend via dating at a rescue centre; or neuter one and bond with a sow (Again, if needs to be a character compatible sow)
it would likely be better for the one you keep to be bonded with an older boar as they then won’t both be going through hormones at the same time (at 14 wks old Your boys are just coming up to their teens which lasts from 4 to 14 months of age).
neutering - this can be done from around 4 months (some vets prefer 6 months), and then he would need a six week wait after the operation to become infertile.

our rescue locator at the top of the page can show you centres local to you which may be able to help. It is well worth travelling further afield though to get to a good rescue for dating and bonding. Unfortunately with the current situation and local lockdowns, it may not be so easy.

Smalice123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m sorry they aren’t getting on. As character compatibility is key and it sounds like your two don’t have it, then things won’t get better for them.
what you do now is your decision, but you are right - your options are

Send one to a rescue centre for rebonding and rehoming and bond the one you will keep with a character compatible friend via dating at a rescue centre; or neuter one and bond with a sow (Again, if needs to be a character compatible sow)
it would likely be better for the one you keep to be bonded with an older boar as they then won’t both be going through hormones at the same time (at 14 wks old Your boys are just coming up to their teens which lasts from 4 to 14 months of age).
neutering - this can be done from around 4 months (some vets prefer 6 months), and then he would need a six week wait after the operation to become infertile.

our rescue locator at the top of the page can show you centres local to you which may be able to help. It is well worth travelling further afield though to get to a good rescue for dating and bonding. Unfortunately with the current situation and local lockdowns, it may not be so easy.
thanks for your reply. After thinking long and hard about the options I think I would prefer for the one we are going to keep to be bonded with another male so as to avoid putting him through an operation if at all possible.
I have contacted three rescue centres that have been recommended to me but none of them have offered me the option of bonding the pig we are going to keep with another piggy. They have all said they will take the one who needs rehoming but I’m pulling my hair out trying to find a rescue centre who will offer time bond the one we want to keep with another pig.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Not all centres do offer dating. Did you specifically ask them to help you find a new companion for the one you are keeping?
The alternative, which some centres will be happy with, is for you to take a piggy whom they think would be compatible, you try the bonding yourself (following the correct procedure - we can help you there). If it is a success, then great, you keep the piggy. If it is a failure, then you can return the piggy and try another.

To add, if you were to get him neutered, then doing it while he is young is a good thing to do - while a neutering is a straightforward operation and the overall health of the piggy and experience of the vet means that a neutering can take place even in an older piggy , it’s obviously best do it while piggy is young if possible. It will give you options for his entire life. A boar/sow pairing is the most stable and while boar/boar pairs are also perfectly able to function (I have a boar pair myself), bonding a teen boar can be trickier (Some rescues May be less likely to recommend bonding a teen boar and would instead suggest neutering and bonding with a sow).

Smalice123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Not all centres do offer dating. Did you specifically ask them to help you find a new companion for the one you are keeping?
The alternative, which some centres will be happy with, is for you to take a piggy whom they think would be compatible, you try the bonding yourself (following the correct procedure - we can help you there). If it is a success, then great, you keep the piggy. If it is a failure, then you can return the piggy and try another.

To add, if you were to get him neutered, then doing it while he is young is a good thing to do - while a neutering is a straightforward operation and the overall health of the piggy and experience of the vet means that a neutering can take place even in an older piggy , it’s obviously best do it while piggy is young if possible. It will give you options for his entire life. A boar/sow pairing is the most stable and while boar/boar pairs are also perfectly able to function (I have a boar pair myself), bonding a teen boar can be trickier (Some rescues May be less likely to recommend bonding a teen boar and would instead suggest neutering and bonding with a sow).
Yes that’s what they have all recommended me to do have the one we are keeping neutered and then get a girl companion for him.

yes I did ask them if they provided a bonding/dating service. Two of them don’t buy the one that did said they wouldn’t provide this service due to them being teenage boars.

if I do have one of the piggy’s neutered and the other rehomed I’m concerned that the piggy we are keeping would be on his own for a considerable amount of time whilst waiting for him to have the operation and then the many weeks after the surgery before he can be placed with a female. Would this adversely affect him if he was living on his own for this length of time?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes that’s what they have all recommended me to do have the one we are keeping neutered and then get a girl companion for him.

yes I did ask them if they provided a bonding/dating service. Two of them don’t buy the one that did said they wouldn’t provide this service due to them being teenage boars.

if I do have one of the piggy’s neutered and the other rehomed I’m concerned that the piggy we are keeping would be on his own for a considerable amount of time whilst waiting for him to have the operation and then the many weeks after the surgery before he can be placed with a female. Would this adversely affect him if he was living on his own for this length of time?
yes, I’m not surprised the wont bond teens. it’s not impossible but hormones are going to make it harder.

being alone for long time isn’t good for them but it’s not as if you are going to have him alone indefinitely. sadly piggies lose their companions and have to go through a wait to find a new friend for many reasons - not finding a character compatible friend straight away, the neutering wait etc.
But you could perhaps time surrendering one with the majority of the wait so to minimise the amount of time the one you are keeping is alone? Speak to your vet first and find out at what age they would neuter him, add on your six week post op wait and then see if you can time it around that. It may be the rescue would understand your position and be prepared to work with you on this basis to ensure the best outcome for both of them

Smalice123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
yes, I’m not surprised the wont bond teens. it’s not impossible but hormones are going to make it harder.

being alone for long time isn’t good for them but it’s not as if you are going to have him alone indefinitely. sadly piggies lose their companions and have to go through a wait to find a new friend for many reasons - not finding a character compatible friend straight away, the neutering wait etc.
But you could perhaps time surrendering one with the majority of the wait so to minimise the amount of time the one you are keeping is alone? Speak to your vet first and find out at what age they would neuter him, add on your six week post op wait and then see if you can time it around that. It may be the rescue would understand your position and be prepared to work with you on this basis to ensure the best outcome for both of them
Yes I was also thinking along the same lines. I think this is probably the best option.
Thank you for talking to me about this as it has helped a lot to speak to someone else about the options.

I just wish the little monkeys would get on so I didn’t have this problem!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes being friends would make things easier, but sadly pet shop piggies are often just put together for sale without consideration for their compatibility and running into relationship problems once the teens hit is not uncommon.
Do keep us posted on how things go for them both.
We love seeing piggy pictures!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I purchased two boars from pets at home four weeks ago and believe they are around 14 weeks old now. Unfortunately they do not get on and have had three fights the last one being on Friday were the bigger one of the two pinned the other one down and bit his face. I have kept them separated since then and don’t think there is any chance of them ever getting along. Unfortunately I do not have room for two cages permanently. I have spoken to many people about this including rescue centres and pets at home. I’ve been told that the best option is to have one re homed and if we want to keep the other one have him neutered and put him with a girl. I believe the pigs are too young to be neutered at the moment and then I would have to wait five weeks after the op for him to not be fertile anymore before putting him with a female.
I’m also not sure whether I should be keeping the other one until this stage so that they can still talk to each other even though they are in separate cages. I have heard that some rescue centres will
take both pigs and bond them with other pigs and then I keep one couple and the others are re homed. I just wondered if anyone could offer any advice and if anyone knows of a rescue centre that provide this service? Thanks
Hi!

I am very sorry for your experience; it is unfortunately not unique. Sadly people tend to choose the prettiest babies and not the two who are hanging out together most or consider adopting an already stably bonded pair from a rescue... :(

For the full range of options after a fall-out with their various pros and cons, the last chapter of our teenage guide may help: Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Some rescues still offer boar bonding at the rescue. If you can travel, try to contact either The Potteries Guinea Pig Rescue in Kidsgrove or Cay Corner in Doncaster (depending on which is within easier reach and has a suitable candidate).
Our rescue locator lists all the carefully vetted good welfare standard rescues in this country we can guarantee for. The vetting process is looking at all stages of the rescue process and how a rescue is run. Since anybody can call themselves a rescue or a breeder in this country without licensing and supervision, you are otherwise on your own.
Rescue Locator

@VickiA

Smalice123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Some rescues still offer boar bonding at the rescue. If you can travel, try to contact either The Potteries Guinea Pig Rescue in Kidsgrove or Cay Corner in Doncaster (depending on which is within easier reach and has a suitable candidate).
Our rescue locator lists all the carefully vetted good welfare standard rescues in this country we can guarantee for. The vetting process is looking at all stages of the rescue process and how a rescue is run. Since anybody can call themselves a rescue or a breeder in this country without licensing and supervision, you are otherwise on your own.
Rescue Locator

@VickiA
Hi I’ve already spoken to both of those
Rescue centres. Cavy corner said they don’t have any male boars and gave me lots of advice but didn’t offer the service of bonding them with other males when they did have some in either. They said the best option is neutering and placing with a female. The potteries guinea pig rescue centre said they would not bond them as they are classed as being teenagers so they could not offer the dating service at the age they are now. Thanks anyway 😊

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I’ve already spoken to both of those
Rescue centres. Cavy corner said they don’t have any male boars and gave me lots of advice but didn’t offer the service of bonding them with other males when they did have some in either. They said the best option is neutering and placing with a female. The potteries guinea pig rescue centre said they would not bond them as they are classed as being teenagers so they could not offer the dating service at the age they are now. Thanks anyway 😊
Ouch! You could take the plunge and decide to hack it for the next 2-3 months with one boy as a single until he 100% safe to live with a sow. It is decidedly less than ideal, but the fall-out is showing that the testicles are now on the move.
Or you could consider keeping the boys on top of each other for the time being if you haven't got the ground space but want some sort of company, as dissatisfying as it is.

Smalice123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ouch! You could take the plunge and decide to hack it for the next 2-3 months with one boy as a single until he 100% safe to live with a sow. It is decidedly less than ideal, but the fall-out is showing that the testicles are now on the move.
Or you could consider keeping the boys on top of each other for the time being if you haven't got the ground space but want some sort of company, as dissatisfying as it is.
They’re currently in cages on top of each other at the moment as I really don’t have the space to have two cages side by side. When we first bought them the plan was for them to live outside however I felt so guilty after leaving them outside for a night that they swiftly became indoor piggy’s! I guess I just have to make a decision what the best way forward is.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
They’re currently in cages on top of each other at the moment as I really don’t have the space to have two cages side by side. When we first bought them the plan was for them to live outside however I felt so guilty after leaving them outside for a night that they swiftly became indoor piggy’s! I guess I just have to make a decision what the best way forward is.
Take your time, sleep over all possible options and don't make any knee jerk decisions that you will rue in the long term. But good on you that they didn't have to spend the last night outdoors like sadly far too many piggies will have had to in uninsulated hutches. :(

Smalice123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Take your time, sleep over all possible options and don't make any knee jerk decisions that you will rue in the long term. But good on you that they didn't have to spend the last night outdoors like sadly far too many piggies will have had to in uninsulated hutches. :(
Yes I will take time to decide what the best way forward is. I know I couldn’t have let them stay outside in the cold and wet. I did buy an insulated cover for the hutch but I still felt really bad that I was inside the house and they were outside!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I will take time to decide what the best way forward is. I know I couldn’t have let them stay outside in the cold and wet. I did buy an insulated cover for the hutch but I still felt really bad that I was inside the house and they were outside!
You are a very loving owner and will find a long term solution that feels right for you, even if getting there has its drawbacks.

Smalice123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
You are a very loving owner and will find a long term solution that feels right for you, even if getting there has its drawbacks.
Thanks that’s kind of you to say 😊 yes hopefully in a few months time everything will be sorted