• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

FIGHTING?! Pls help

Olizie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So basically I just woke up to the sound of my guinea pigs squealing frantically and chasing each other around... is this playing or the start of a fight? They’re two one year old males and I’m just wondering is this normal? I’ve had them for two weeks now and the previous owner said they have lived together all their lives. I’ve attached a video of them doing this for you to see what I mean.. Please could somebody tell me what this is?click here to see what I mean:This is a video of them and what I mean

So basically I just woke up to the sound of my guinea pigs squealing frantically and chasing each other around... is this playing or the start of a fight? They’re two one year old males and I’m just wondering is this normal? I’ve had them for two weeks now and the previous owner said they have lived together all their lives. I’ve attached a video of them doing this for you to see what I mean.. Please could somebody tell me what this is?click here to see what I mean:This is a video of them and what I mean

Hi

That is what we call 'zoomies' - play time.
Have a look at the videos in this link here: 'Popcorning' and 'zooming' - joy and exuberance (videos)

Otherwise it is dominance behaviour within acceptable bounds.
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

If it gets worse or the underpiggy is getting fed up, please conduct a short separation of 2 days with a divider until the hormone spike has died down. You can find the detailed advice on that, including hwo to stage re-intros in this link here: Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

What I would recommend is to take some of the hideys out as your cage is rather cramped for the underboy to really get away,

Last edited:
That cage looks a little small for them I'm afraid. They don't have room to get away from each other. With the tunnel and toilet roll there isn't much room in there. I would take out the grey platform in the meantime and have two hides in there. Then make plans to get them a bigger one - minimum 150x60cm, though 180x60 would be better. Also where is their hay?

Otherwise that looks like normal dominance behaviour. Dominant pig wanting to mount/hump and underpig squealing in submission.

PS that's not fighting. Fighting is quite different and distinct.

Hi

That is what we call 'zoomies' - play time.
Have a look at the videos in this link here: 'Popcorning' and 'zooming' - joy and exuberance (videos)

Otherwise it is dominance behaviour within acceptable bounds.
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

If it gets worse or the underpiggy is getting fed up, please conduct a short separation of 2 days with a divider until the hormone spike has died down. You can find the detailed advice on that, including hwo to stage re-intros in this link here: Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

What I would recommend is to take some of the hideys out as your cage is rather cramped for the underboy to really get away,
Ok thanks!

That cage looks a little small for them I'm afraid. They don't have room to get away from each other. With the tunnel and toilet roll there isn't much room in there. I would take out the grey platform in the meantime and have two hides in there. Then make plans to get them a bigger one - minimum 150x60cm, though 180x60 would be better. Also where is their hay?

Otherwise that looks like normal dominance behaviour. Dominant pig wanting to mount/hump and underpig squealing in submission.

The cage is 120*60 which is the uk’s minimum for two guinea pigs so technically it isn’t too small... (I know it’s the bare minimum but it still is acceptable and as soon as they feel comfortable enough, I’m going to give them hours of floor time ). Also they have a stack of hay under the platform which gets refilled every night, and another heap of hay put into a lot of ‘hay toys’ refilled in the mornings. Still thanks for the advice :)

That’s the exact cage I got from pets at home and once my boys grew a little it was already too cramped, I upgraded to a c&c :)

The cage is 120*60 which is the uk’s minimum for two guinea pigs so technically it isn’t too small... (I know it’s the bare minimum but it still is acceptable and as soon as they feel comfortable enough, I’m going to give them hours of floor time ). Also they have a stack of hay under the platform which gets refilled every night, and another heap of hay put into a lot of ‘hay toys’ refilled in the mornings. Still thanks for the advice :)
You are right in that it's the minimum for two piggies. But boars need more space than 2 sows or a sow & boar pairing. Lots of floor space is a bonus, but they need enough space where they will be spending their nights. I can only advise you but it's ultimately up to you what you decide to do.

While that cage size will just about do for two sows, a mixed pair or two older boars (it is still small even for them), this is unfortunately not the case for teenage boars and fully grown young adults. They REALLY need all the space they can get to get away from each other whenever things get tricky. Lack of space is one of the main triggers for fall-outs.
Pet shops unfortunately sell still far too small cages at too high prices.
Cage Size Guide
All About C & C Grid Cages Around The World
Ferplast Plaza 160 Small Pet Cage

And thank for answering our questions. Please keep in mind that we want to help you keep your piggies together as much as possible and that they are also cared for properly to ensure that they have as healthy and long a life as possible. We get members from all around the world and from very different conditions and backgrounds.

Back