Fighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fr0ggy

I bought my 2 boars last weekend and they have seemed fine. This evening I have put them in their run and they seem to be nipping each other in the face. Is this ok? I have never had 2 boars together and am a bit concerned that they are gonna hurt each other when I put them back in the hutch later.

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please keep a very close eye on them. Boars can be horrible to each other and can cause the most dreadful injuries if they take against each other.

If there is any sign of blood shed you will need to split them up.

Boars make it so hard for themselves!

F

Fr0ggy

starshine said:
Please keep a very close eye on them. Boars can be horrible to each other and can cause the most dreadful injuries if they take against each other.

If there is any sign of blood shed you will need to split them up.

Boars make it so hard for themselves!
Should it be ok to put them back in the hutch together tonight? They seem to go for each other and then snuggle up together so I don't know what to make of it but they are being pretty noisy!

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hopefully, if they are very young, they are just sorting out the pecking order. you need to watch them very closely for any trouble. If they start really chattering their teeth and looking aggressive, you may need to seperate them.

Reaction score
If they are apart for any length of time you should always reintroduce them agian by cuddling together, letting them run together in an open space then putting them back in a totally clean cage. If you dont do this it could be even more difficult to get them to go together. Good luck!

Reaction score
as already said they need watching very closely I would put hem back as they did'nt fight in their hutch but make sure they have plenty of room to hide if necessary 2 lots of food and 2 water bottles and minimise the reasons for fighting, maybe one of them is becoming more dominant it could go nice and easily or it could get nasty

F

Fr0ggy

Just thought I'd update in case anyone else has similar problems-the boys seem to have settled down quite a bit now-they still look like they have a bit of a go occasionally but there has been no blood shed (am checking them morning and night) and they are all snuggled up together most of the time so fingers crossed they will be ok now.

Thanks everyone for your advice-hopefully things will run a bit smoother from now on!

P

piglover

I have a similar problem with two boys 4wk old and 6 week old - lots of rumblestrutting and rustling(!?!) but no teeth chattering yet and its the 4wk old who's doing it! He's actually no quite sure yet why he feels the need to rumblestrut across the cage cause when he gets to Golly he stops and sort of looks puzzled! They always sleep together cuddled up tightly but this behaviour usually starts in the evening as if their putting on a show for me! Do you think they'll be ok or will it get worse as I posted somewhere else Cubby is a whopper for his age! If I hadn't seen him the day he was born I would'nt have believed his age! He's not a very good veg eater either just scatters it! Is that his age too?

Status
Not open for further replies.