Final hutch plan and hutch huggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doeylicious

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Due to a better bonus than I ever expected this month at work :)) I have decided to purchase this hutch for my guineas

http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wc...1&productId=32751&summaryOnly=true&bct=basket

(Yes I know it come with bunny stuff, but P@H are thick and charge LESS for this package than just the hutch! So will donate the bunny food to a local rescue)

Going to seal up the hole and do this

hutch-plan-a.jpg

To both layers, and cover the thin door on the bottom one, so I have two luxury guinea homes :))

As this will be outside in summer though, I thought of getting this

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/daisy-cottage-hutch-hugger-51001

To protect it from the rain, as no wooden hutch is ever 100% waterproof.

Has anyone used these? Are they good?

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My OH sister has this hutch for her tribe of piggles, its lovely and roomy though i would warn that the woods well a bit flimsy :S saying that it has lasted over the winter. :) I like your idea of seperating the two halves...i have no idea about the hutch snuggle...id also like to know if their any good!

happysaz133

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh gosh, please don't! I bought this, and had to send it back. The wood seriously is like cardboard, the hutch actually blows over in the wind (my friend has it too), and mine came with nails and screws sticking out, completely unsafe! Split and splinted wood too. I wish I had taken photos. Thankfully P@H agreed to take it back, and the woman on the phone said she wasn't surprised, and that it was their most returned hutch. I actually posted a review and amazingly they posted it.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/dais...cm_re=barilliance-_-up sell-_-product details

If you could find a different one, I would really recommend it. On the plus side, the accessories that come with it are good.

Fudge and Rainbow :)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh gosh, please don't! I bought this, and had to send it back. The wood seriously is like cardboard, the hutch actually blows over in the wind (my friend has it too), and mine came with nails and screws sticking out, completely unsafe! Split and splinted wood too. I wish I had taken photos. Thankfully P@H agreed to take it back, and the woman on the phone said she wasn't surprised, and that it was their most returned hutch. I actually posted a review and amazingly they posted it.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/dais...cm_re=barilliance-_-up sell-_-product details

If you could find a different one, I would really recommend it. On the plus side, the accessories that come with it are good.

All the reviews are terrible! Good job you posted, I hope the OP notices. :)

Reaction score
I was going to buy this hutch but my mum bought my little girl a pink castle hutch instead, good job too.:)

Doeylicious

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The problem is I can't find a hutch anywhere with the same dimensions :( I need the width x length x height to make it work.

My other option is to get their smaller 1 storey Poppy Den, which I know is not too bad as I have one already for my boarders, then get the guinea pig den to go on top. I actually think this may be safer and less likely to blow over as it will be two separate units, so the wind can't tale the whole thing...does that make sense?

Think this might be more sensible actually...thank you, I was being a bit 'oh it can't be that bad!' about the reviews as I got overexcited about my renovations ~embarrassed face~

happysaz133

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The problem is I can't find a hutch anywhere with the same dimensions :( I need the width x length x height to make it work.

My other option is to get their smaller 1 storey Poppy Den, which I know is not too bad as I have one already for my boarders, then get the guinea pig den to go on top. I actually think this may be safer and less likely to blow over as it will be two separate units, so the wind can't tale the whole thing...does that make sense?

Think this might be more sensible actually...thank you, I was being a bit 'oh it can't be that bad!' about the reviews as I got overexcited about my renovations ~embarrassed face~

I did the exact same, don't be embarrassed. I was just so happy I managed to find something I went ahead and ordered it thinking the reviews couldn't really be all bad!

Your other idea does make sense :) best of luck with it.

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Dunno if this is any use, but our old hutch has similar dimensions (4ft = 50" x 25" x 46" ) and is from here http://www.rabbithutchwarehouse.co.uk/hutches.php. It's a little more expensive than the P@H one at £129 (and I'm not sure how much shipping would be, as we're only local to them) but is more sturdy.

It's the Grand Villa Deluxe (about half way down the page) The front of the bottom is different, as it lifts right out, so it may not end up being any good. It doesn't have the wall with the hole to seperate the bed, just a piece of wood which can be taken out and replaced, as your drawing

Just a thought...

This is ours

IMG_0552.jpg

Inside bed area..

IMG_0651.jpg

Doeylicious

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks Little Piggles. Unfortunately the bottom door wouldn't work for me on yours, as I will be splitting the hutch in two...I am making it more complicated than it needs to be but I have to due to the winter space I have. Ah the joys of unplanned pregnancies :{

We went to P@H today and they had a Poppy Den in, it was 'damaged' i.e. a tiny crack in one of the wooden struts, no effect on the structure at all, but they gave me £10 off for it! So quite pleased now as saved a bit of money and happier it will be more stable thanks to happysaz's advice :)

ayemee

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have this exact same hutch from P@H. I've had it for over 7 months now and I havent had one problem with it at all! :) I have a thermal cover to keep them warm in winter and cool in summer, and a rain cover with a fly screen. Its quite difficult to clean out, as the woodshavings I use get stuck under the separating plank of wood between the two compartments. Other than that, I've had no problems at all. My piggies love it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.