Finding a companion...

emmaldrk

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Our beloved Freddy passed away last Wednesday. His brother, Teddy, is currently in a two week quarantine. Precautionary!

He is a very soft in nature and doing very well. He is fit and healthy. Eating and drinking. All very positive.

Finding a compinion has been my top priority. I wanted to get a head start but certainly haven’t stopped grieving for my Freddy. ❤

I contacted eight rescues locally, who told me either that I’m outside their housing area and/or there will be a long wait. I’m on the waiting lists I could get get on. Another rescue didn’t have any piggies. One rehoming centre told me that they didn’t bond boars as the pairing can break down months later... I felt disheartened to say the least.

However, the last rescue (very close to me) that I contact have said they do have a few piggie candidates. They don’t offer bonding 🤦‍♀️ BUT said it’s something I could do at home and if it doesn’t work out then they’d always happily take the piggie back. They’ve also give no real timeframe - “soon” - as to when they’re ready but suggested a neutered sow. Teddy isn’t neutered and don’t think it would be fair to put him through the operation and recovery at his age.

The alternative is a young boar. I found a beautiful Teddy (breed) guinea pig. Adorable. He will be ready in a few weeks - at the end of Teddy’s quarantine. I feel it is all still a big gamble! What if they don’t bond? Then I’m left with two boats seeking company... I would still provide for them no matter what! I go above and beyond for my piggies. Always have.

I don’t want to rush a decision.

So what would you do?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s a shame that the one rescue said they don’t offer boars as the bond breaks down - that simply isn’t true if two boars are correctly bonded, so that certainly is disheartening to be told that

It’s unusual to find a spayed sow but if they do have one then it is an option.
How old is teddy? Age doesn’t need to be a barrier to being neutered if the vet is experienced, and then you could bond him with a sow (unspayed). It of course would mean a six week wait after he is neutered to become infertile before a bonding could happen.

So, taking a piggy on spec from a centre is more of a risk, they may not bond, but they could happily live as next door neighbours and interact through the bars to provide company for each other. It is a viable alternative. Of course you’d need the space for two cages side by side.

The uncertainty of how long it will take and with Teddy being on his own for an indefinite period, it is hard. If neutering him is definitely not something you’d want to do, then I’d be inclined to go with the younger boar and see how it goes, living side by side if it fails