finding a new friend in quarantine

nifftheguinepig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! Sadly Niff lost her older sister Zoop recently and needs a new furry friend. I have read a lot of threads here about bonding, but because of quarantine, it is very difficult to get to my local animal shelter. The shelter is only open by appointment and they are always very busy. Niff seemed to be doing ok. She is eating like usual but staying in her hides for most of the day. I would like to get her a companion as soon as possible but as of now, it could be a while. If she is alone for too long will she reject the company? I've read about boars rejecting other guinea pigs because they were housed alone for too long. I know that bonds are mostly built on the character of the pigs but if the shelter doesn't allow them to meet how should I go about finding a companion?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m sorry for your loss
A companion will be rejected if they aren’t of suitable character.
Call some of the centres and get yourself on their waiting lists. Ask them if they offer dating. Try to choose one that does do dating as it means your piggy can choose her own friend.
If you can’t find one that does dating, then that is ok but it means you will have to carry out the bonding yourself. They may have plans in place that if you bring home a piggy, try an introduction and if it doesn’t work then you can return the piggy and try another one. If returning isn’t an option and a bonding fails, then the two piggies will have to live in side by side cages. That way they still get through the bar interaction so neither will be lonely.

Centres in the uk are starting to reopen with plans in place. Some are prioritising bereaved piggies. All you can do is call centres near you and ask what their plans are.

Could you add your location to your profile please as it helps us tailor our advice. If you are in the uk, then we may be able to offer advise on centres near you

Last edited:

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So sorry you lost little Zoop, it’s difficult with the lock down rules, hope you find a little friend for Niff soon
sleep tight little lady 🌈

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello! Sadly Niff lost her older sister Zoop recently and needs a new furry friend. I have read a lot of threads here about bonding, but because of quarantine, it is very difficult to get to my local animal shelter. The shelter is only open by appointment and they are always very busy. Niff seemed to be doing ok. She is eating like usual but staying in her hides for most of the day. I would like to get her a companion as soon as possible but as of now, it could be a while. If she is alone for too long will she reject the company? I've read about boars rejecting other guinea pigs because they were housed alone for too long. I know that bonds are mostly built on the character of the pigs but if the shelter doesn't allow them to meet how should I go about finding a companion?
Hi!

I am very sorry about your loss.

Please take the time to read the guide links below; they should give you a more detailed look at your problem and hopefully allow you to make informed choices.
The singles guide deals with single guinea pigs in a range of situations (including looking after a bereaved piggy); it contains a chapter on how to best go about companionship according to your own local options and what to look out for to spot tell tale signs that your piggy is starting to suffer from stimulation of her own kind.

With single sows you can look at other sows and neutered boars via rescue dating or consider adopting a pair of young sows (that cannot challenge her status at the top) as two may be accepted more easily than a single sow. But even two not fully grown sows can be a fail with some especially older single sows.
Your fall back option would be a single live alongside piggy or bonded pair with constant interaction and stimulation through the bars but with each part having their own territory.

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children