Finding my boars a wife

AndreaFryer

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya
My two separated boars have being waiting to be bonded with a sow each but the rescue centre don’t have any available. They have being on the waiting list a few months now.
Would it be a good idea to pair them with a baby sow each or is this too risky?
Thanks x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hiya
My two separated boars have being waiting to be bonded with a sow each but the rescue centre don’t have any available. They have being on the waiting list a few months now.
Would it be a good idea to pair them with a baby sow each or is this too risky?
Thanks x
Hi!

I am very sorry; this last year has been so difficult for rescues.

Bonding with a baby sow is not risky, but you have to keep in mind that any piggies that do not come from a good welfare standard rescue can be potentially be mis-sexed or have been in contact with a mis-sexed boar (and therefore potentially pregnant) and they can also come with some health issues. While you have have a certain recourse with chain pet shops (as much as it pains me to say that), you are very much on your own if you go down the for sale breeder route (online or not) or getting second-hand piggies privately. People wanting to get rid of problem piggies will lie through their teeth pre-sale and go incommunicado as soon as they are out of their hands. You had better enough money ready to be able to pay vet fees as you will have four piggies going through quarantine and potential treatment. The need of babies for company is so overwheening that you have to waive a quarantine.

Older sows may not bond as easily as baby sows; with them, character compatibility is much more crucial for acceptance; babies want to belong, as simple as that.
This guide here deals with the usual pitfalls that you neatly avoid by rehoming: New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

Please take the time to read and use our bonding guide to talk you through the process; it has a chapters on baby bonding and mixed gender/group bondings: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

AndreaFryer

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thankyou
I think you’ve actually changed my mind.
I might just wait it out for the rescue centre.
I just hate that their both in 2x3 c&c cage each (side by side) when they could have a much bigger space to runaround in.
I have no room to name them any bigger.
One in particular is always zooming around.

AndreaFryer

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Overtime can pigs rebound with it each other? Or is that a silly idea?

Little Ones

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Why did you separate the two boys? What behaviours did you see which made you think they’d fallen out? Just wondering as some people see dominance and think it means piggies hate each other even though it’s normal behaviour.
How old are they? And how old were they when you had them together?

AndreaFryer

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I split them up at about 6months old.
It was quite strange. Inky I thought was the boss. I once went downstairs and cookie was balancing on his wooden house and shaking.
In the morning i noticed he had two little teeth marks on his nose. It had being bleeding but he didn’t need the vets.
Inky then had a respiratory infection and cookie seemed to take over so much that he would corner inky and chatter over him.
Inky seemed scared. I used to put food ect in his bed.
I then sit the up.
They are now two years old so have being separated for a while.

Little Ones

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmm given that they were teenagers when it happened and are now proper adults, I think if it were me I’d try and rebond them following the bonding guide and stand by with the oven gloves. Read the guide thoroughly before beginning and have it at hand during the bonding. You don’t have to try to rebond them if you think it’s best not to as you know your piggies, but I personally would try given they were teenagers at the time, and there was illness going on which can unsettle an already unstable hierarchy.
When top piggies get ill you can sometimes see the underpiggy trying to take charge, I’ve found that the top pig takes back his throne once he feels better though I know this isn’t universal.

AndreaFryer

New Born Pup
Reaction score
They certainly appear to like each other more.
I know it’s through bars but they do sniff each other ect.
They have both definitely calmed down.
I think I will give them one more chance as overall they would be happier together x