• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Finding Ralph a friend

LucyB1234

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I'm now eagerly awaiting a call from my local rescue centre for Ralph (1 year old lone boar I rehomed) to go boar dating. It's been two weeks since we popped in to say hello and meet their residents and they put us on their waiting list. I'm so anxious it won't work out, have people had success with boar dating at rescues? Please fill me with hope! I hate seeing him lonely 😔

So I'm now eagerly awaiting a call from my local rescue centre for Ralph (1 year old lone boar I rehomed) to go boar dating. It's been two weeks since we popped in to say hello and meet their residents and they put us on their waiting list. I'm so anxious it won't work out, have people had success with boar dating at rescues? Please fill me with hope! I hate seeing him lonely 😔

Yes, we have had lots of successes! All the best! Ralph should be over the very worst of his teenage and becoming more easier to bond again the older he gets. ;)

To be honest, rescue dating has shown that it takes on average 1-3 introductions to find 'Mr Right' irrespective of any age - that goes for babies as well as adults. Adults have the big advantage that you do not have to face the tricky teenage months again and that they mellow as they get older and their testosterone output gradually fizzles out. Any resulting adult-adult bond should be as stable as a sow bond. ;)
If not (which is pretty unusual), you have the rescue to fall back on and are not left with two boars that do not get on!

My skittish grumpy black teddy Nosgan, who didn't hit it off with any of (a fair!) number of sows he was introduced to, found his soul mate in happy-go-lucky cheerful young boar white Nye - they were truly yin and yang in more than looks and had a very happy stable bond until Nosgan died just before Easter, aged 5 years.
PS: Nye (who I had neutered after his adoption for safety reasons and to give him more options once older Nosgan passed away) now lives with a mother and daughter pair he used to be friends with through the bars.
IMG_6773_edited-1.jpg

Hi!
I have not had much experience with boar dating at rescues but I have had great success with bonding boars myself. Hope this helps

I've just seen a post go up from the rescue centre who's waiting list we are on saying they have an outbreak of kennel cough. I'm in two minds now whether to let him boar date there or not as I don't want to risk it.

I've just seen a post go up from the rescue centre who's waiting list we are on saying they have an outbreak of kennel cough. I'm in two minds now whether to let him boar date there or not as I don't want to risk it.

The rescue will let you know when it is safe again. You can rest assured that all precaustion are taken and protocols are in place as this is a common hazard in multi-species rescues. Any good rescue will take the necessary measures with the help of their vet asap. ;)
Please keep in mind that small furries are generally kept well away from dog kennels in order to prevent any transmission.

It's good news! He's found and fallen in love with another boar. They hit it off straight away and are returning to us this weekend 😁 my next question is, what do I need to do to prepare for their return? I have washed everything in the cage and wiped it down, I have got a second hay tray and water bottle as well as lots of bowls. The rescue centre sent me this gorgeous pic of the two of them together today, I think I can actually see Ralph smiling! 😄

Attachments

• patch~2.jpg
    patch~2.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 31
It's good news! He's found and fallen in love with another boar. They hit it off straight away and are returning to us this weekend 😁 my next question is, what do I need to do to prepare for their return? I have washed everything in the cage and wiped it down, I have got a second hay tray and water bottle as well as lots of bowls. The rescue centre sent me this gorgeous pic of the two of them together today, I think I can actually see Ralph smiling! 😄

Hi! wonderful news! you must be so chuffed! They are making a lovely pair!

I would start with a short phase in a bonding pen on neutral ground in your home to put both boys on an euqal footing wile you prepare the cage to make it smell like their group territory.

If you can please ask the rescue for some bedding or wipe the cage down with a rag in their carrier so the new space smells like both their joint territory. that should keep dominance behaviour down.

More tips in this guide here, chapter 3 and 4: A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

We are picking them up tomorrow afternoon and I cannot wait! The rescue centre said they were cuddled up together fast asleep when I rang earlier. They're impressed with how well they're getting along, I hope it stays that way once they're home with us!

I've got my boys back and they are so in love with each other it's beautiful to see. Ralph was very happy to be home and greeted his cage with a lovely pur. Patch has some settling in to do but I checked on them earlier and they were both snuggled up in Ralph's favourite hidey, top to tail. Lots more poop around my cage than I was used to with just the one and they have been tucking into all the goodies! Two very happy and content boys, I'll upload some pictures when they're settled in the next day or two. 😁

Back