• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fingers crossed for Thumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Thumper has to go in an hour to be sedated so that the vet can have a good look in his mouth :( I'm really scared for him as I've read a lot of stories on here where things don't turn out so well, has anyone got any experiences of this? xox

Hoping everything goes well for Thumper. It's only natural to worry when they have anything done ,I totally understand the nerves you are feeling.. Pitch had to have dental done 3 times with Anesthetic before we found a vet that could do it without and each time she recovered fine.

It is very nerve wracking but hopefully everything will go fine and Thumper will come round absolutely ok. Thinking of you and little Thumper

x

yes, my first piggy was sedated quite a few times so they could look at his teeth. He was always ok after sedation as he was healthy and had good weight on him. I hope Thumper is ok, let us know when you can.

Sadly i eventually lost my beautiful ginger piggy siddy rip baby :( xx

When they come round they are quite drowsy and shakey. Take a packed lunch with him of his favourite foods and hay so he can nibble at it if he feels able afterwards. Let us know how he gets on.

x

Thank you everyone, he's away in, he's a little underweight and he has respiratory problems that I'm worried are linked to heart problems, wee baby is only 17weeks old so it's going to be a long day waiting for the phone call!
xox

Fingers crossed for Thumper!

Does your vet allow you to bring his companion?

Yes, he'll be fine. He'll probably be very sleepy when he comes around. We noticed that Pitch was too tired to notice when she came round if Putt was there or not, when she got home Putt snuggled up to her then.

He'll soon be back with his piggie pal.

Each piggie reacts different to anesthetic - He may have little shakes, don't panic this is normal after anesthetic. Put some of his favourite food by him, maybe some watermelon or cucumber so he can get moisture without having to go over to the water bottle. Weigh him also and keep a eye on his weight so you know if he's eating or not. You may have to syringe feed if he isn't. Check he is pooing also. Depending on what the vet has done (filing teeth) he may need some metacam (painkiller)

Last edited:
Thumper's home and all seems well so far! Apparently his teeth had grew over his tongue 8... I feel so bad :(
So he's had them sorted and he seems really lively now! Hopefully that's a good sign :)
So how often would I need him to have his teeth checked if he's had this problem so young?
Also Wiebke gave me a guinealynx link which had info in it about buccal pad separators, would it be worth me buying these for the vet to use in future? They look like a great idea
Thanks for all you advice xox

oi, why you feel so bad, its not your fault, just watch out for signs in the future, the sooner the get them seen to the better. My Sid that i lost used to bite bits off his carrot and i would find the bits afterwards as he wasnt able to eat them, i didnt realise this at first, then it clicked when the vet told me about his teeth. Also, he would dribble quite a lot when they needed seeing to. I would keep a really close eye on thumpers weight too. Aww and hes so young arrrr :(

Hopefully his teeth problems are at and end now :)

Yes, just be very alert about the signs on overgrown teeth, and take him back to the vet ASAP if it happens again

Yeah I think the first thing I need to look out for is the chewing when not actually eating, I think that's what he did for longest but you live and learn and I'm glad he's okay. He can't eat still so I'll keep going with the critical care and see how he goes tomorrow. And his snuffly breathing and sneezing appears to have stopped too! xox

So pleased for you. I thought about him last night and wondered how he'd got on. Hopefully his teeth probs are behind him now.

Lots of hay to keep them worn down and regular weighing to keep an eye on him. It can take piggies a while to get use to their new teeth.

x

Okay so 1 step forward two steps back mallethead He is refusing food now, yesterday he was attempting to eat veg, hay and pellets and was taking the critical care enthusiastically, now I'm having to force feed the critical care into him 8...
The sneezing has returned :( The vet wants to see him tomorrow morning if I get no improvement today. Is it likely that the teeth were a consequence of another problem? I'm really worried about him now :(

Piggie mouths can be sore for a few days after dental. In my experience 'Pitch' would never eat 2nd day after her dental once her pain killers (metacam) had worn off. She normally started eating again on the 3rd day.. But each pig is different.

Did the vet give Thumper any metacam? His mouth may be sore - if the teeth had been digging into his cheek or tongue.
I'm sorry I can't suggest anything regarding the sneezing. I would be inclined to get back in touch with the vet asap. Is he maintaining his weight through critical care?

I really hope things improve for him

x x

Thank you that is reassuring, I took him back today, so he got more metacam and he's eating a little weetabix and critical care, he hasn't lost any weight so that's a good thing. We'll go back again tomorrow if he's no better, thinking I should just move in there lol Thumpers been there everyday this week!xox

Often they eat straight away after their toofie trim and then they stop.......it is very frustrating.......... keep up the great work, stay positive and make sure too that you offer more water as well :)
The metacam will help, is he taking any probiotics to help with his gut flora?
Best of luck, whee all send lots of girlie kisses and loves from me too xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back