• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

First Bath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, my Gorgeous Guineas order arrived; Manuka and Neem shampoo, Posh 'n' Go shampoo and Perfect Paws ointment (today I used the Manuka and Neem shampoo and Perfect Paws).

First time I've ever fully bathed pigs (only done a wipe over before!), so I'm very proud of myself for not having any mishaps or overly-traumatised piggies :))

I used a washing up bowl with about 2 inches of warm water in. It was put on a non-slip bath mat on the floor near the cage (when my pigs are worried/fed up of laptime they look towards the cage so I wanted it to be within sight). I also had a small scoop to use to pour water over the pig when rinsing (a jug would have been too big with such a small volume of water in the bowl). I held the pig around the body under their front legs with one hand whilst pouring/shampooing/rinsing with the other. I then towel dried and brushed with the soft side of a pet brush. Then I rubbed a little bit of Perfect Paws into tiny feets!

Willow was first, purely as I thought, of the two, she'd be the most dramatic. She didn't mind being in the water and the actual shampooing but didn't like the water being poured over to rinse.

This pic captures the humiliation felt in her eyes :))
IMG_0201.JPG

And here we are all dried and brushed and restored to fabulousity!
IMG_0207.JPG

Marble seemed to like the process a little more than Willow (despite her bedraggled state!). I was expecting more histrionics from both of them, to be honest.
IMG_0211.JPG

And here's a beautifully brushed Marble (of course, the second she went back into the cage she returned to chaotic floof style 'do).
IMG_0215.JPG

Neither of them have particularly dry paws, but I thought it'd be nice to add a little Perfect Paws as a pampering touch, and neither minded so I think I'll carry that on on a weekly basis to keep their pads supple :)

I am planning to bath 2 of ours over the Christmas hols, so your thread has inspired me a bit.
I hope our bath time goes as well as yours, although I suspect Ruby will be less agreeable about the whole process.

Picture not shown - me soaked to the skin after Willow clambered up my front and onto my shoulder while completely sodden with water (and I can tell you that fur holds A LOT of water!) :))

I am planning to bath 2 of ours over the Christmas hols, so your thread has inspired me a bit.
I hope our bath time goes as well as yours, although I suspect Ruby will be less agreeable about the whole process.
In total, the process took about an hour and a half for both of them. Obviously, the huge majority of that was drying and brushing time (looooong time for the long hair!), and I'd say my biggest tip would be to ensure you have everything set out and to hand before bathing (it's far harder to get stuff when you've got a soapy, squirmy pig in hand!).

:drool::drool::drool::drool: They have been to the piggy salon!

Oh heavens above. You really know how to spoil us. Those pics of them all wet and then ... all combed out and posh. Quite lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back