• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

First C&C Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Today I finally sat down and figured out the measurements and made my first C&C cage for my piggie. So far he is loving it, which is great - its basically 3x the size of his old, pet store bought cage. Though instead of coroplast I used mat board for the bottom and have newspaper along the bottom to help make clean up easier.

100_2161.jpg

100_2163.jpg

100_2166.jpg

The cage is 3 feet in length and 2 feet in width and I found the perfect spot for it to sit in my room. Though the main reason I made it was because I want to get my piggie a friend since I work quite a bit during the day and I don't want him to get lonely.

Is this cage big enough for two males? Hawk, the one in the picture, is almost a year so I was hoping if I got a young male they would have enough space.

Hello your set up looks great, I bet he's loving his new space.
It's great that you're going to get him a friend, you'll see a whole new character coming out when he's got someone to play with.
The minimum recommended size for 2 guinea pigs is 2 x 4 grids but with two boys together the bigger the space the better and two of everything helps.
Have you tried fleece as a bedding? I used to use woodshavings but am now converted. It's much cheaper and easier to keep clean. Just sweep up the poos and soiled hay each day then change the fleece every 3 / 4 days. A big pile of hay to jump in is also great fun!

katiepops:
Thanks! I'm just trying to figure out how to introduce them and all that before I even get the new guinea - I'm really worried that my guinea now won't be too happy with sharing his living area with another male.
I'm not really able to make the cage any bigger than the 2x3 grid I have it at now, but I do already have two of everything - except the igloo, which I would most definitely get another of once the new guinea was purchased. Though maybe I should get two hay holders as well...

And I haven't tried fleece to be honest, though it is tempting since the cage generates alot of bedding. >>

AudioHeart:
Thanks! <3

You could always extend the cage upwards to provide more room, perhaps introduce a 'Hay Loft'. I have a tray which I call a 'Foriage Pit' which I layer with wood pellet (as they also use it as a toilet) then wood shavings which I mix with dried leaves and herbs bought from Pets at Home, I also mix in treats like salad and fruits, then mix the top layers up and finally cover completely in Hay. I am careful to keep the food away from the sides due to it being their chosen toilet area.

Perhaps look into constructing an upper floor in the future, as I would think the cage would be ok while the new boy is a baby (if you were opting to get a young one) but I would think it would only be a few months before they start getting under each others feet.

I would try to find some untreated wooden poles stands to support an upper level, but thats just me, as I don't trust the strength of the C&C alone. But yours looks extremely well constructed so it would probably be fine!

Oh, and try just grabbing LOAD of hay and chucking it in the cage. I mean loads! Just watch and see how Hawk plays in it. I guarentee you will no longer use the hay racks purely for the joy of seeing how they play in the hay.

-Carma

Last edited:
You could add a hayloft along the back of your cage in order to create the necessary space. For added stability you could run an aluminium rod the length of the cage, tied on with cable ties; that won't impact on the space. If you create hayloft for the boys to play in (piggies just love burrowing and romping in hay), I would recommend higher sides and back for the mat board so you don't get hay down the back of the cage.

I am sure that Hawk will love the company; can you find a place wehre you could take Hawk for some baby boar dating to find the one he really likes?

Carma Violet:

I may in the future extend the cage upward by adding a second floor - but not anytime soon since I've decided to wait to get the new guinea until after we move and get situated since I don't want to put a baby through a long move. Plus I think there will be better options on where to get the new guinea instead of just Petco.

Aw man, haha - I just bought the hay rack because I thought it'd be better for him instead of just having it all over the floor of the cage. Oh well, lol.

Wiebke:
That sounds like a good idea for support, I'll try designing a hay-rack for future use, I'm sure Hawk would enjoy it as well.

And sadly my options are extremely limited where I'm living right now and the only place to even get a guinea pig is at a large petstore in the next town over. I'll probably be waiting to purchase my new guinea pig until after we move, hopefully then I can take Hawk 'baby boar dating', haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back