• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

First floor time! HELP!

Micaelas_pigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! My name is Micaela and I recently adopted two guinea pigs, Truffle and Peep. I got them about 5 days ago. They already eat out of my hands and run around in their cage while I'm watching.
Since about 2 days ago, I noticed they are popcorning so I opened up the door to their cage but they just wont come out!
I changed their bedding yesterday while they were in their cage bc I could not get them out, and I scared them out of their minds, which I still feel so bad about!
I really really need tips on how to get them out of their cage for their first floor time 😭
Also, how did you do your first floor time?

Hi! My name is Micaela and I recently adopted two guinea pigs, Truffle and Peep. I got them about 5 days ago. They already eat out of my hands and run around in their cage while I'm watching.
Since about 2 days ago, I noticed they are popcorning so I opened up the door to their cage but they just wont come out!
I changed their bedding yesterday while they were in their cage bc I could not get them out, and I scared them out of their minds, which I still feel so bad about!
I really really need tips on how to get them out of their cage for their first floor time 😭
Also, how did you do your first floor time?

Hi and welcome, Micaela!

Please accept that your piggies may never had any floor time before. For them, the outside of the cage is a truly frightening experience. Guinea pigs follow where other guinea pigs have gone before. I have only a small half-height divider between the piggy room and living room, but none of my piggies is ever jumping across because the other side doesn't smell of piggies and is therefore a no go zone!
Guinea pigs are prey animals that have an instinctive deep sitting fear of being in open, exposed places, as that is where they are at their most vulnerable to predation from the air and the ground. Guinea pig instincts may be somewhat dulled in domestic guinea pigs compared to wild species, but they are all still there and active!
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Learning how to free roam and becoming confident is a process that can take weeks or even months, but you will hopefully enjoy the journey if you do not expect too much from yourself and your piggies. Keep in mind that most videos you see on social media are the result of this process you are just about to start and not a realistic picture of the humble beginnings. ;)

What you can do:
- use a fleece or blanket your piggies have romped and peed on and spread it out in front of the cage and then gradually move further away with later free roaming time to signal that this is piggy territory. Be aware that piggies scent mark their territory and you'll wage a peeing and bum wiping war if your piggies are on carpet. Place a plastic sheet underneath where you create toiletting corners by creating a little shelter on some permeable fleece facbric. Piggies like their resting corners!

- scatter hideys about 20-30 cm from the cage door and from each other at first and create lots of little shelters your piggies can explore their world from. Over time you can extend the distances as your piggies become more courageous. Cardboard boxes and childen's stools make ideal pit stops.

- Be very encouraging with your voice; praise lavishly from the moment your piggies stick their noses through the door, but don't be too close by if they are still shy of you. Be disappointed in your voice, but in a kind way whenever they dash back.
if they have taken a real fright, start back in square one again the next time. They should come round more quickly every time. Don't push them too hard or take pressure off again after you have done so. It is a matter of building up trust. If your piggies feel that you are taking their fears and concerns seriously, they will trust you more.

- Sprinkle veg around for them to find, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't always work out the way you have planned to. these expeditions are a mutual learning curve. Allow yourself to learn as much from and about your piggies as they are learning from you.

You may find some the of ideas in this guide here, which I have made with pictures of some my piggies past helpful:
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

The guide is part of our new owners helpful guides collection: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Welcome to the forum
5 days is no time at all for new piggies.
Patience and following the advice @Wiebke has given will help.

It took my youngest - Phoebe- about 6 months before she stopped diving for cover at the slightest sound. Now, about 9 / 10 months on she is a very confident girl. She’s still skittish if there’s anything different in her environment but she’s more relaxed now.
Time and patience are the key

Back