First long car ride

Silverwolf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello.
I am in need for a quick advice.
I need to take my guinea pig for a longer car ride ( me and her will be staying for a week in a different house) . I am a little worried about her comfort and I don’t want to stress my piggy too much. Does anyone have some tips on how to travel with a piggy for the first time?

Free Ranger

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Guinea-pig carriers can be very small and often open only from the top so poor piggy can't walk in but has to be loaded in and out like a parcel. Also I'm never happy about how safe it is to pick up this type of piggy 'handbag' knowing that if those plastic clips fail the bottom will suddenly drop out with no warning! So I transport mine in to and from the vet in a cat-box which has a wire door at the front. Two pigs can move around comfortably in here. Cat-box comes out a few days before the trip and sits open in the run (with food in and a water bottle on the door) so they can go in and out and get used to it. That way, when the time comes to transport, they recognise it as part of their territory and feel more comfortable in the car. After the vet has finished looking at 'the patient' they always run back into the cat-box so they do see it as a safe place. I also use it in the grass run in the garden as a hidey.

I have a light blanket to cover it in the car in case of cold weather/hot sun. I always strap it into a seat because if you put it on the floor there are a lot of scary vibrations from the engine and the road surface, and it is noisier and smellier down there. Sometimes I use a cushion or folded towel so it can sit straight because some cars have seats that slope a lot. And I don't have the radio on too loud - I just put it on low with the speaker switched off on piggy's side (they usually go in the passenger seat in my car). There is always plenty of hay, a few pellets and the water bottle there.

Have a nice trip! ☺

Silverwolf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice!
Luckily for today I will not be the one that is driving a car, so it makes it a little easier I think. Thank you for all your advices! :)

Bradshaw Piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

It is not too far at all. I used to travel my piggies 2 hrs 45 mins every week at one point to see their vets (nearly 3 hours there and nearly 3 hours back). Piggies travel really well. You've just got to get the conditions right.
I travelled mine in carriers, large enough so that they could still roam a little as it's a long journey to be cooped up in a corner. I would secure them in the back and they would also be surrounded by cushions, with a blanket over the top of the carrier so they felt safer (but not around the sides so that plenty of air was getting in). I used to make sure the car maintained a constant temperature too (not too hot and not too cold).
They did have me chatting to them all the way there and back, probably got sick of me 😂 I found that they coped really well, eating, roaming around and sleeping as normal.

Silverwolf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We arrived but she is super scared of everyone else and new location.
Will she be ok and show herself as a happy girl she was before traveling?

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Put a blanket over her cage and place her in a quiet room so she can get used to the strange noises and smells. If she had a little friend as a companion she would have someone to cuddle up with at stressful times like these 😀
A cat /small dog carrier would be the best travel size for her as she would then be able to move around

Free Ranger

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Make sure if your host has any small children or predator pets like cats or dogs that she is safe from them... and that she feels safe too. She doesn't know that for example, the dog is not allowed in that room - she just knows she can smell a dog. She is so young and curious that she will come out of her shell in the next few days. Give her plenty of interaction too, so she knows you are there and not leaving her at this new home, but I would resist getting her out because everyone will want to hold her and if she's freaking out she might make a blind jump to get away.