• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

First strokes and petting

Vic85

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

We’ve had our two piggies for about 10 days now. They are gradually becoming more confident and we have built up to them taking food from our hands.

We’d obviously love to be able to stroke them from time to time but I’m reading conflicting advice. My partner wants to get into their enclosure, let them sniff round him and try to pick up or stroke them. Whereas I think this is a huge mistake and we just need to wait. The odd time I’ve attempted a quick stroke when they take food from me - it has caused them to bolt. They settle after and will come back for more food but my instinct is they’re not ready to be petted. But do we keep trying nonetheless?

Any advice appreciated.

I wouldn't try to pick them up directly from the enclosure. The best way is to herd them Into a a carrier and then pick them up from there. They will need weighing weekly so is a good idea to get them used to this. It may take them a lot longer before they are ready for anything more - its going to be very piggy dependent. Taking food from you is a fantastic sign of trust and its lovely that has happened in a short space of time - 10 days isnt long at all! It took one of my boys six weeks to take food from me but it took the other a year and a half.
My boys live in my shed and I sit on the floor with them. They come up to me, take treats from me, are happy to go about their piggy business around me etc. They will allow the odd chin/head scratch but dont like to be picked up and handled a lot. It took a long time to get to this point. They will tolerate being held for their health and weight checks - I can weigh, nail clip, medicate etc but they just dont like being cuddled.

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely

Last edited:
I wouldn't try to pick them up directly from the enclosure. The best way is to herd them Into a a carrier and then pick them up from there. They will need weighing weekly so is a good idea to get them used to this. It may take them a lot longer before they are ready for anything more - its going to be very piggy dependent. Taking food from you is a fantastic sign of trust and its lovely that has happened in a short space of time - 10 days isnt long at all! It took one of my boys six weeks to take food from me but it took the other a year and a half.
My boys live in my shed and I sit on the floor with them. They come up to me, take treats from me, are happy to go about their piggy business around me etc. They will allow the odd chin/head scratch but dont like to be picked up and handled a lot. It took a long time to get to this point. They will tolerate being held for their health and weight checks - I can weigh, nail clip, medicate etc but they just dont like being cuddled.

Thank you for that. Yes I think it’s important not to expect a cuddly guinea pig that enjoys being handled. I’ll follow your advice thanks.

This might sound like a stupid question but are they likely to bite us if we do this? One nipped my finger which was accidental as I had lettuce and I think she hurried over and her aim was off lol. It didn’t hurt but obv I don’t want to be as nervy as them when I handle them! When they flinch it sometimes makes me flinch which I know isn’t helpful! People seem to use clean dry pee pads for picking up?

They might bite if they feel scared or as a sign they want to be put down. One of mine does try to nip me when I’m clipping his front nails!

You can sit them on your lap on a pee pad as it will stop you from getting urine soaked!

Hi all,

We’ve had our two piggies for about 10 days now. They are gradually becoming more confident and we have built up to them taking food from our hands.

We’d obviously love to be able to stroke them from time to time but I’m reading conflicting advice. My partner wants to get into their enclosure, let them sniff round him and try to pick up or stroke them. Whereas I think this is a huge mistake and we just need to wait. The odd time I’ve attempted a quick stroke when they take food from me - it has caused them to bolt. They settle after and will come back for more food but my instinct is they’re not ready to be petted. But do we keep trying nonetheless?

Any advice appreciated.

Hi!

You may find the guide links below very helpful; it teaches you about cavy prey animal instincts, how you can use their social interactive key behaviours to invite them into your herd and tell them that they are welcome and loved in their own language (so they have a herd identity with you) and tips for the first lap time.
Our approach is guinea pig and not human based; we prefer to communicate with your guinea pigs in their own world and give them the freedom to tell you when they don't like something. It is not as quick an approach initially but you will reap the rewards later on. Trust is a tender plant that needs to make roots first before it can grow and flourish. ;)
Yours are now ready to take the next step.

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics (helping you to spot and understand key behaviours)

All these guides are part of our much more comprehensive and very useful practical and step-by-step New Owners information resource, which you may want to bookmark, browse, read and re-read at need. Unlike many other places, we don't gloss over the sticky how to details since 15 years of practical experience of running this forum and our own long term ownership experience has taught us what people really want to and need to know: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Back