First time owner deciding on cage

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I also intended to get sows after hearing about boars. But they chose me and I ended up with boars. I absolutely love them, and believe the reputation they have isn't correct. The important thing is character compatibility, not the sex. If you get your pair from a rescue then they will have already been bonded, health checked and properly sexed.

I ordered from Songmics but had to return the grids as they were too small to use with those I had. I think I ordered these if I remember correctly.

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:agr: The reputation of boars being hormonal and difficult is not correct. Teen boars are hormone driven and can be tricky but if they are correctly matched, then it won’t be a long term problem. It’s also about how you deal with boars - large cage, handling the dominant first, two of everything etc. My boars were 4 months old when I got them, just at the start of their teens. They bickered when hormones kicked in but nothing dramatic at all and now at almost two years old, they are the best of friends and very mellow gentlemen!

Whatever sex you get, you are going to see dominance behaviours though. It’ll be temporary while they are re-establishing their relationship which will happen when they move in with you and have to set up new territories etc within their new cage. But, some sows can get a bit grumpy when in season and boars still love a good rumble and chase even once they are in established relationships. As @Siikibam said, it is about having a compatible match between them and not about their sex. Incorrectly matched and you will see problems regardless of whether they are boars or sows.

Lisha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
20200113_194518.jpg
Is that little bit of missing for normal for an abyssinian? I'm planning on buying it from a breeder who says they've just noticed on one of them that she's missing a bit of fur only in this area (lower back). Thanks for all your support

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I can’t quite see from the picture. There can be many reasons from it being simply where the hair is parted forming the rosette of an aby, or a scuffle with another piggy to medical issues such as mites or ringworm. You would want to get to the bottom of it though.

Little Ones

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If there’s dandruff too then I’d say it’s not normal. But I’ve never owned pigs with really long hair. Again, I’d advise going to a rescue as it is guaranteed your pigs won’t have medical issues such as ringworm, uri or mites. As a forum, we also don’t allow breeders on here as we would recommend people adopt rather than support the cruel system of impregnating animals simply for profit rather than keeping guinea pigs to love them. It’s also likely that you may not get a bonded pair, whereas this will be guaranteed at a rescue. She also looks fully grown from the picture, how old is she?

Lisha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They said she's 5 months old I've not gone to get her as I'm not able to until Saturday. That's a close up. I understand where you're coming from sorry I dont mean to come across as irresponsible for buying from a breeder. Thank you for all help. 20200113_213509.jpg

Lisha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm doing now/ looking to see if anyone is rehoming due to no longer being able to take care of them. Will definitely update when they are here and we have the enclosure set up 🤞🏼🤞🏼

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

I've linked in the recommended rescue locator for you. Rescue Centre is the best way to go to find well bonded, healthy animals. Finding piggies to rehome privately is risky, owners can be very economic with the truth about the health of the piggies they are rehoming! Of course many people are genuine but we do hear some very sad cases here. As a first time piggie slave the last thing you need is to be plunged in at the deep end with a sick or pregnant animal. Good luck in your search.

Alejandro232

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As a first timer with guinea pigs, I understand the impulse to just have one on the assumption it will be less work. Having owned a hamster for a while, I can assure you two is not much more work than one. It’s the cage that is the most thanklessly labor intensive aspect, and you’ll be servicing one cage for two cavies, so it’s really not more work in any meaningful sense. As for the size of the cage, I find it actually easier to clean our 2x4 cage than our comparatively smaller hamster cage. So, bigger cage and get two. Oh, and enjoy!

Lisha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just wanted to chime in here and say well done for being open minded and taking the advice offered on board.
It sounds like you will be a great owner and hopefully you will get your piggies soon.
Thank you, all of your support means so much. I've made a plan if anyone has time please let me know if anything should be omitted. You're all so kind thank you for everyone's help and I hope I'll be the best human for my piggys to be 😂🤞🏼15790409871319211447321422774718.jpg

Lisha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As a first timer with guinea pigs, I understand the impulse to just have one on the assumption it will be less work. Having owned a hamster for a while, I can assure you two is not much more work than one. It’s the cage that is the most thanklessly labor intensive aspect, and you’ll be servicing one cage for two cavies, so it’s really not more work in any meaningful sense. As for the size of the cage, I find it actually easier to clean our 2x4 cage than our comparatively smaller hamster cage. So, bigger cage and get two. Oh, and enjoy!
Yeah I've taken some time to look into it further and I agree that itd me more beneficial for them to be a pair.

Lisha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

I've linked in the recommended rescue locator for you. Rescue Centre is the best way to go to find well bonded, healthy animals. Finding piggies to rehome privately is risky, owners can be very economic with the truth about the health of the piggies they are rehoming! Of course many people are genuine but we do hear some very sad cases here. As a first time piggie slave the last thing you need is to be plunged in at the deep end with a sick or pregnant animal. Good luck in your search.
This has been really helpful thank you x

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you, all of your support means so much. I've made a plan if anyone has time please let me know if anything should be omitted. You're all so kind thank you for everyone's help and I hope I'll be the best human for my piggys to be 😂🤞🏼View attachment 131127
Carrots are also an occasional treat due to being high in sugar. ALL fruits should be occasional too - I see you put blueberries in the daily section. Herbs other than coriander shouldn’t be fed daily. In particular parsley which is high in calcium.

Spinach is also high in calcium and shouldn’t be fed much. Maybe 1-2 leaves per week. Don’t feed it in the same week you feed kale - it’s also a high calcium content. Corn and cranberries should also be occasional

Cabbage needs introducing slowly as it can give them gas. So don’t give too big a piece.

Hay should make up at least 80%

Below is the link to the feeding guide - please note it’s just a ‘guide’.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

The veg I feed daily are bell pepper, celery, lettuce, cucumber, green beans, coriander. Sometimes I don’t have them all so they don’t get them all. But they’ll generally always get at least pepper and lettuce.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Root veggies are generally quite fattening so don't feed too often and also avoid more than one brassica family in any given day due to the potential for gas (Brussels, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower). I feed fruits very occasionally, ie less than once a week as too often can lead to infections and sores around the mouth

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:agr: With lady kelly and siikibam. The only herb you really want to give daily is coriander. Thyme is not a daily herb - any hard leaved, hard stemmed herb is usually Mediterranean and can be fed but not often. Corn isn’t really something to give daily either - can be fattening.
its very rare that I give my mine fruit at all. They may get a piece of tomato if I’ve made some for us in a salad and there is a bit left over, but in terms of actually giving it to them, I think they’ve had fruit about five times in 18 months!

In terms of pellets, I note you say 10%. We advise 5% and that amounts to just one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day.

Lisha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Carrots are also an occasional treat due to being high in sugar. ALL fruits should be occasional too - I see you put blueberries in the daily section. Herbs other than coriander shouldn’t be fed daily. In particular parsley which is high in calcium.

Spinach is also high in calcium and shouldn’t be fed much. Maybe 1-2 leaves per week. Don’t feed it in the same week you feed kale - it’s also a high calcium content. Corn and cranberries should also be occasional

Cabbage needs introducing slowly as it can give them gas. So don’t give too big a piece.

Hay should make up at least 80%

Below is the link to the feeding guide - please note it’s just a ‘guide’.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

The veg I feed daily are bell pepper, celery, lettuce, cucumber, green beans, coriander. Sometimes I don’t have them all so they don’t get them all. But they’ll generally always get at least pepper and lettuce.
Thank you so much for this (thankfully this was a first draft well before we get them which gives us time to adjust the plan) x

Lisha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Root veggies are generally quite fattening so don't feed too often and also avoid more than one brassica family in any given day due to the potential for gas (Brussels, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower). I feed fruits very occasionally, ie less than once a week as too often can lead to infections and sores around the mouth
Thank you, I took the suggestion of once a week from online but I will definitely take this on board