• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

First time travel

Sivlei

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am going on a 10 day trip and I can not bring my guinea pigs. I have some questions.
1. Last time I went on a short trip and I put some veggies in a box and left instructions for the sitter to give them to the boars. This time we are going to be away too long to do this so how do my guinea pigs get vitamin C? I have some vitamin C tablets; should I tell her to give them the tablets?
2. Right now I only have two usable fleeces. Should I just ask her to do one full clean and daily spot cleaning?
Any other tips would be welcomed!

Piggies do not need and should not be routinely supplemented with any vitamin c. They get all they need from a healthy balanced diet.
Excess vitamin c is excreted in the urine so at best you are just wasting your time and effort in giving it as they are peeing excess straight out.
At worst, it can be detrimental to them. Their bodies get used to abnormally and unnecessary high amounts and if the amount then drops for any reason it can cause scurvy.

So, you are going to have to get the sitter to continue giving the vit c as you currently do.
I would suggest when you return, you work on weaning them off of it gradually over several weeks. You cannot just stop giving it cold turkey as it can make them unwell.

Regarding cleaning, yes spot cleaning and one full clean is fine if you cannot provide any more fleeces.

I am going on a 10 day trip and I can not bring my guinea pigs. I have some questions.
1. Last time I went on a short trip and I put some veggies in a box and left instructions for the sitter to give them to the boars. This time we are going to be away too long to do this so how do my guinea pigs get vitamin C? I have some vitamin C tablets; should I tell her to give them the tablets?
2. Right now I only have two usable fleeces. Should I just ask her to do one full clean and daily spot cleaning?
Any other tips would be welcomed!
The way I look at it, depending on the level of experience the sitter has with guinea pigs, the less they have to do the less chance there is of something going wrong. You could prepare some veg in advance that can be stored in portions in a fridge. I cut up veg every third day so it sits in the fridge for a maximum of two days, I used to do it less so it would be every fourth day but had some issues with veg quality causing it to age faster. The trick is to cut it up and not wash it or it will go slimy very quickly. Beyond the first 4-5 days, you could (if your pet sitter is comfortable) leave pictures of how much of each veg they get and ask your pet sitter to chop it. I understand they may not be comfortable doing that.
How long do you have before you go away? Do you have time to grow an indoor grass tray that you could ask your pet sitter to cut a handful of for them every day?

Though not ideal, unless suffering from severe health issues, your guinea pigs will absolutely survive 7 days with no fresh veg. They would still be getting some from their hay and pellets.

With fleeces, it is unique to the guinea pigs, the fleeces and the cage. I spot clean twice daily but only do a full clean once a week, this is fine for me as both of mine are neutered and they have a lot of space. If you have less space, older/poor quality fleeces, more guinea pigs or particularly smells ones (stinky young boars!🤢) then you may have more of a problem.

Back