• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fitch And Poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ma7ie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, yesterday I moved our piggies onto Fitch. I cleaned them out about 5pm and when I checked them this morning I was greeted by this sight
20150404_135158.jpg The problem is that it is impossible to sweep up, so what does everyone else do? They were on wood shavings before and we could sweep off the top layer. I'm sure they've done more!

I used Fitch in trays and just mixed it up then binned it the next day. I'm finding Megazorb a lot easier to pick poops from and it seems to absorb better but the coverage isn't as good as Fitch. Sorry that I don't have a better solution :(

I'm just wondering whether to put a layer of fleece over the top of the fitch so that I can just lift it out and shake it or sweep it. I could change the fleece every day. I don't want to go back to shavings because I hate the smell and the mess.

To be honest I am not sure how many piggies you have but we at the moment only have one at home with us (the other is getting special attention away) and I just literally "stir" the Fitch up once a day and I can hear all the poops fall onto the correx. Then I clear out any damp areas and that's it, but if you have lots then that might not be so helpful.

We have 2 boars in a 120cm cage. The floor is absolutely covered now.

Wow! That's a lot of poo :)

What happens when you mix it up a bit, do the poopies fall to the bottom?

I feel your pain..My two poop like that everyday. I have fleece and just lift it out and replace every 2 days and then everyday replace a smaller piece of fleece where they wee. So much easier also saves alot of money in the long run.

Glad to see my two aren't the only 2 mega poop machines in the area :)

I used the care fresh stuff which is similar and I just mixed it all up every morning. The poops are dry by then as well so they never stuck to her feet.

I feel your pain..My two poop like that everyday. I have fleece and just lift it out and replace every 2 days and then everyday replace a smaller piece of fleece where they wee. So much easier also saves alot of money in the long run.

Glad to see my two aren't the only 2 mega poop machines in the area :)

Me too ☺they're big lads but I can't believe quite how much they do. I've cleaned them out again and stuck some fleece over the top of the fitch so we'll see how well that goes.

I have a mixture of Fitch , Aubiose and fleece in my hutch. In the areas that have Fitch, I just make sure I spot clean and take out all the bits that are soaked in wee. I think Fitch is great stuff. If you continue using Fitch and are bothered about the amount of poo - maybe a twice weekly full cage clean would be the best solution

i flip it! the poo's are better disguised then, and wet and heavy poop patches can be removed. i do a full clean every third day though to remove all the poops that have been moved to the bottom. something that works really well over fitch is those padded fleece blankets. just lap size ones. the fitch draws the moisture through and then these can be taken out, shaken and changed as regularly as you want. i put their boxes and tunnels on these blankets too and they tend to do alot of the poops underneath which i can then just shake off easily. i also have a large garden potting tray at one end of the cage. this has newspaper, fitch and hay and is changed completely everyday. they do the majority of their poops in there luckily! i think because it's a large tray, they use it more than they would a smaller one. it also has one low sided edge which means they can jump in and out really easily. :)

eta: the fitch doesn't seem to stick to the fleece blankets either. it shakes off. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back