• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fitch Bedding...yay Or Nay?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannah8t9

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Just wondered if anyone have any insight into Fitch bedding?
We're currently using care fresh but it's so darn expensive and we use a whole bag a pop!
I can't get on with fleece I've tried a number of times I just don't like it
Anyone use Fitch? How do you find it?
TIA

I've never used it, I started with wood having, guinea's sneezed so changed to megazorb, I found that too dusty for me never mind the guinea's, then went to fleece with a mattress protector underneath and then to fleece liners lol.

I did google fitch and found it had reviews on Amazon if I've gotten the right stuff.

I periodically switch between Snowflake shavings and fitch, but I do find fitch ever so easy to work with. It's really really easy to spot clean as wet bits just clump together, it doesn't smell and a bag lasts for ages. The piggies seem to like it too - it probably feels a lot softer underfoot than the shavings, and is really good in winter especially as it's quite warm and snuggly :)

Another Fitch fan here and I second what karanatamoon has said, it's my second choice of bedding after fleece.

I switched to Fitch last year and have never looked back. I have fleece as my main flooring but a cat litter tray full of Fitch next to their hay rack and put the food bowl in there so many poops and pees are absorbed by it. Mimi sleeps on it. It's soft underfoot, absorbent, keeps the smells to a minimum and works out pretty cheap.
Don't buy from Amazon, it's cheaper to order direct from the manufacturer and post free from them as well. I only need the 10k bale which is £16.99 including delivery. Cheap enough to give it a try :)

Thanks for your reply people!:D
Very much appreciated!
I'm gunna order some now!
Think my old girl is going to love it if it's all snugly! :love: She loves snuggling! Well they all do really! :D

After 2 years trying to find the right bedding that's both affordable, cosy, easy to handle and non smelly, Fitch hAs come out on top for me. I've just ordered 8 bags which turned out at £12.77 per bag delivered. Ok if you have somewhere to store it. I've put mine in the shed and hope no mice find it and thinks it's Christmas!

We use Fitch too and both me and my little girls love it. It is so absorbent. Think I have converted my mum in law too.:nod:

Fitch for me too for reasons already mentioned. It's economical, not dusty, easy to spot clean, piggies are happy with it... I've tried all sorts in the past and I do use fleece, but for my messy areas (hay lofts/trays) I use Fitch. If I had to give up fleece for some reason I would exclusively use Fitch :)

I really don't like fitch. I find it very dusty, it is very expensive, and you can't compost it.
I prefer aubiose a sit is cheaper, less dusty and more absorbent.

I really don't like fitch. I find it very dusty, it is very expensive, and you can't compost it.
I prefer aubiose a sit is cheaper, less dusty and more absorbent.
I like Fitch very much, but I've never tried Aubiose.... think I'll give it a go (after stating that I'd keep to Fitch!) :)
The thing is though, how small are the pieces. I like large pieces, they don't get stuck in the long (ish) hair of my Swiss piggy.

I've had a look at Aubiose. From what I see you can get 20kg for less than £10 most places, but on Amazon it's a whopping £21.99! For this particular pro0duct I'd say avoid Amazon :)

I've had a look at Aubiose. From what I see you can get 20kg for less than £10 most places, but on Amazon it's a whopping £21.99! For this particular pro0duct I'd say avoid Amazon :)
Normally amazon is ok for prices!
That is a surprise! Never tried fitch or aubiose. I'm happy with my fleece. Hehe

This has been a very interesting debate. When I foster I always use fleece and change it daily so the piggies stay nice and clean during their stay and go back to the centre looking fab. It is quite labour intensive, and cleaning and changing a C&C on the floor is not good with a dodgy back problem like mine:no:. Have not got room to pop the C&C on a bench/table due to my stairs being in the way. Perhaps I shall experiment with Fitch or Aubiose next time, both are available from my local farm/ equestrian supply warehouse. Always have the welfare of my foster pigs foremost, but if they stayed just as clean on a less human-labour-intensive bedding it might be worth a go. Thanks all for your helpful input, much appreciated. Can't see the centre objecting, unless a piggy was coming to me with known respiratory probs.

I like Fitch very much, but I've never tried Aubiose.... think I'll give it a go (after stating that I'd keep to Fitch!) :)
The thing is though, how small are the pieces. I like large pieces, they don't get stuck in the long (ish) hair of my Swiss piggy.
I'm not a fan of Aubiose - I didn't find that it kept smell down that brilliantly, plus it got stuck in my boys bits..! :mal: So I'd say it would also get stuck in any long-haired piggies hair too!

I've used aubiose and both of my girls have long hair (they'd had their summer cut in my pic). Although it didn't get stuck in their hair it did get stuck in their bits. Same as snowflake woodchip. Also I wasn't happy with them eating around it as the bits are quite little and sharp.

I'm a fan of Fitch but I mainly use Aubiose now because it is cheaper. It is best value if you get it from a local equine supplier. I like that the top layer stays dry - better than Fitch for this.
I can see why some don't like Aubiose - it is small bits. I haven't got any longer haired piggies - just teddies, rexes and short smooth haired ones - but I haven't had any problems with it getting stuck in their bits.
Fitch is definitely softer and probably warmer.

I'm a fan of fitch for the reasons everyone's said. If like me you live near the producers (in Stalybridge East of Manchester) it works out that half of the cost is actually for delivery, so I go and pick it up from them at half price, which is another reason to like it as a bale lasts a very long time!

Aubiose is very small and it did get stuck in their bums. Be warned, anything wet like peppers will attract aubiose and form a huge aubiose ball.

I'm a fan of fitch for the reasons everyone's said. If like me you live near the producers (in Stalybridge East of Manchester) it works out that half of the cost is actually for delivery, so I go and pick it up from them at half price, which is another reason to like it as a bale lasts a very long time!
I wonder if it is worth an hour and a half drive? Hmm - might think about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back