• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fitch First paper bedding?

Free Ranger

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I have been given half a sack by my friend who has recently lost an aged guinea pig and a hamster in rapid succession but I forgot to ask which one she used it for - maybe it was both. Anyone got any experience of this stuff? It just looks like chopped bits of absorbent white paper (too small for emergency toilet roll before any wag offers that particular suggestion!) so I can give it a go in some bits of the cage, unless there are supposed to be problems with it...

I have been given half a sack by my friend who has recently lost an aged guinea pig and a hamster in rapid succession but I forgot to ask which one she used it for - maybe it was both. Anyone got any experience of this stuff? It just looks like chopped bits of absorbent white paper (too small for emergency toilet roll before any wag offers that particular suggestion!) so I can give it a go in some bits of the cage, unless there are supposed to be problems with it...
I've used it before when it was hot and my long hair piggie was struggling with the fleece in the heat, but definitely prefer fleece. I think it's largely down to personal preference. It shows up wee and poo well because it's white, and is relatively easy to replace dirty bedding with clean bedding. However, I prefer fleece because my guinea pigs like to tunnel under it, and it's reusable. I'd say give it a go and see how you and your piggies find it. Hope that helps :)

I've used Fitch in the past and I really liked it for my piggies. But since it became to expensive (used to be around £20 more or less for a 20kg bag, then they increased the price to £35!), I stopped using it.

Thanks for that feedback. I was thinking about the bedroom area which is currently back-2-nature (heavier, lumpy, but very absorbent) topped with hay, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't get churned up all together! I'll use it somehow... if it fails I'll find it a good home or donate to a rescue.

I might try a festive photo-shoot as it does look a bit like snow!

I used Fitch for a couple of years and really liked it. However, like @anyar.dris I stopped using it when the manufacturer got greedy and almost doubled the price.☹️

Did you use it under fleece or under hay or just on it's own? And did they eat it!
I used it on its own in the main parts of the cage (a fairly thick layer) and under the hay in the loft. It is very absorbent and it is easy just pick out the wet patches each day and then top up with a bit more Fitch. I never saw them eat any of it but that doesn't mean they didn't.

I use Fitch in the hay area of our cage. I love it! They seem to toilet in one spot in particular, so I replace the dirty bedding with used-but-clean stuff daily, and put brand new clean fitch in the used-but-clean area, if that makes sense? I replace the whole lot once a week when I clean out. We have vet bed in the rest of the cage. A big bag (20kg) lasts about 6 weeks. I don’t think they eat it!

I really like the fact that it’s recycled, and I compost a lot of it too.

Did you use it under fleece or under hay or just on it's own? And did they eat it!
I used it mainly in the hutch. Just newspaper underneath and replace it every 2 to 3 days or just removed the heavily soiled ones and refill it again. I used to full clean the hutch I think every 5 days. Fleece is used in the attached c&c run at the bottom of the hutch. I liked it coz it didn't smell, absorbs pee great, quite soft, and that it's white, so any unusual discoloration of pee was easy to see. Too bad it became too expensive. I tried using other substrates after (aubiose, teabag paper bedding, other brands of paper bedding) but the only thing that worked okay for me considering the price is shredded egg box. Although I completely changed everything to fleece at the start of the pandemic when the tip closed.

This was in 2018 when I was using Fitch.

IMG_20180326_120157_272.jpgIMG_20180326_131200_928.jpg

Back