• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Flakes/Dandruff Persisting Post Lice Treatment?

bonbonandco

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my guinea pig (3 yo) had lice and was treated by our vet with Revolution, 2 doses in a 2 week interval. His hair loss and patches went away, however, I still saw dandruff and flakes post treatment. Months later, I am still seeing these itty bitty white flakes on him (the right picture was just taken today, 5 months after his treatment). Does he need to be treated again/is there a possibility the lice came back? Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.

Before treatment(Revolution):
IMG_1183.jpg
5 months after treatment:
IMG_3354.jpg

I’m not entirely sure on this one. I treated my piggies for lice previously, and one of them did seem to have dandruff/dry flakes but it went away.

I’ll tag @PigglePuggle @Piggies&buns hopefully they can help.

PS did the vet diagnose the lice?

Hi everyone, my guinea pig (3 yo) had lice and was treated by our vet with Revolution, 2 doses in a 2 week interval. His hair loss and patches went away, however, I still saw dandruff and flakes post treatment. Months later, I am still seeing these itty bitty white flakes on him (the right picture was just taken today, 5 months after his treatment). Does he need to be treated again/is there a possibility the lice came back? Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.

Before treatment(Revolution):
View attachment 150858
5 months after treatment:
View attachment 150859

Hi!

This is normal for mange mites. I would recommend a third round to make sure that any remaining eggs burrowed in the skin stay put. The dandruff is normal in the wake of mange mites as the damaged dead skin is shed. The classic mange mite v-pattern will eventually grow back.

You can give a gentle water bath if he is no longer twitchy/squirmy when you touch him on the affected area, if you you really feel you need to something; or otherwise just leave the skin to do its own healing and gently brush the dead skin flakes out.
Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)

Back