• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fleas!

Merry2018

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today I gave Merry a bath since he has been itching his feet a lot, and then I realized he has fleas. I’ve had tiny bugs crawling around my room for a while, but I’ve never seen fleas before and didn’t know that’s what they were. I feel horrible for not realizing sooner. I’m taking Merry straight to the vet tomorrow and going to do a deep clean of his cage.

Does anyone have an recommendations of what to clean his cage with?

Also, now I have fleas all over my room, and I’m not sure where they are coming from. It looks like my bookcase might be the source, but I’m not sure. If someone could please advise me on how to handle this issue that would be great! I’m bagging things and vacuuming, but I don’t know what else to do or how to get them out of my room!

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what you are seeing but there are no species specific fleas in guinea pigs. They may jump on to a piggy temporarily but don't stay and feed. Do you have other pets that could have brought them in?

Ok, thank you for the information! That lessens my worries a bit knowing it most likely isn’t fleas. I’m guessing he might have hay mites? He is going to the vet this evening, and I will update everyone with the results!

Ok, thank you for the information! That lessens my worries a bit knowing it most likely isn’t fleas. I’m guessing he might have hay mites? He is going to the vet this evening, and I will update everyone with the results!

with hay mites all you usually see are the egg casings which tend to stick to the back end of the piggy. hay mites themselves aren’t usually visible. it may simply be bugs but not a piggy species specific bug

We got back from the vet, and luckily nothing is wrong! His grease land is just very active right now and flaking into his skin, and causing him to get itchy. My vet recommended I use some Dawn dish soap to help clean off his gland a bit.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

:agr: Please don’t use dish soap, it’s too harsh for their skins. Just use water. And maybe rub on a bit of coconut oil, allow it to sit for a bit then wash it off.

Oh good to know! Why would my vet have said I could try dish soap? She also said coconut oil was an option to me. Is there varying information out there?

Their skin is sensitive hence the advice not to wash too often and unless really necessary. We can’t tell you why she suggested dish soap.

I think I’ll try the coconut oil method tonight because yesterday when I was washing his gland with water the grease was still on pretty good. I’d like for this to be his last bath for a while until his grease gland needs tending to because, like you guys are saying, the sensitive skin.

Yes it can be a bit stubborn to clean sometimes, the coconut oil works really well.
Some vets don’t know a lot about guinea pigs and can give out bad information sometimes, there’s a vet locator on the forum with recommended piggy vets :)

Oh good to know! Why would my vet have said I could try dish soap? She also said coconut oil was an option to me. Is there varying information out there?

I seem to recall when I joined the forum dish soap and swarfega were commonly recommended for overactive and messy grease glands but they are too harsh and can cause issues with dry skin in the surrounding area so it's not recommended anymore. It's likely your vet just isn't aware that advice has changed

Back