• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece advice :)

Bluecharliedeltaecho

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all! I am hoping to move over to fleece bedding and intend to make my own. I am going to re-do my current c and c cage as my girls have slowly eaten their way through the base so it needs replacing. I have 6 girls in an L-shape cage, currently on a shavings bedding (see photo for size and shape) my questions are...

a) Do I make a big shaped liner? Or several smaller ones? Will they burrow or move them if I make smaller ones?
B) The girls reside in our integral garage (so they get the heat from the house but the room itself is not heated - door always left open for heat to enter from house), and it can be chilly in winter, will fleece keep them warm enough?
c) I have read the guide to making fleece liners, what do people think about a waterproof bottom layer vs just fleece as the bottom layer? Does this make much difference to anything?
D) is it acceptable to dry liners in the tumbler? May be tricky to dry them in the house come winter, or do they dry very quick? I currently use reusable nappies for our baby and some of these can take a couple of days to air dry if it’s cold.

And finally just any ideas or thoughts on cage design :) all suggestions welcome!

many thanks

Attachments

• EA134B4C-335C-4FE2-90B4-A4323938B0AC.jpeg
    EA134B4C-335C-4FE2-90B4-A4323938B0AC.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 13
I’d personally have several smaller as it can make it easier to remove wetter areas, or use a big one and then have pee pads for high traffic areas

Depends how chilly you are talking. If it gets below 15 degrees then it is too chilly and then fleece will not be enough - they will need extra bedding to snuggle into, heat pads etc.

fleece may shrink of tumble dried.

I’d say it can get below 15 and I do usually use the pink microwave heat pads in the winter under the beds to make sure they are warm enough - will this be enough with fleece? I was thinking that I could buy some storage style tubs with ventilation holes and entrances/exits that I could stuff with straw/hay and heat pads, could this plan work?
In terms of shrinking, would making them deliberately larger compensate for this?

thanks so much for your help

Mine live in my shed (they have a hutch in there) and in winter I don’t use fleece at all (I do in summer though) for two reasons - it’s not snuggly but also because even in the shed fleece doesn’t dry/stay dry. You’d have to see how it worked for your particular set, but my experience is that it’s not ideal unless it is in a warm house. I use thick layers of hay (dont use straw with piggies it’s too sharp) and heat pads. I do put in fleece tunnels or hideys overnight with a heat pad underneath (it’s obviously easy to remove a tunnel if it is damp in the mornings and replace with a fresh one).

Mine live in my shed (they have a hutch in there) and in winter I don’t use fleece at all (I do in summer though) for two reasons - it’s not snuggly but also because even in the shed fleece doesn’t dry/stay dry. You’d have to see how it worked for your particular set, but my experience is that it’s not ideal unless it is in a warm house. I use thick layers of hay (dont use straw with piggies it’s too sharp) and heat pads. I do put in fleece tunnels or hideys overnight with a heat pad underneath (it’s obviously easy to remove a tunnel if it is damp in the mornings and replace with a fresh one).

thanks for the advice much appreciated :) I’ve been using straw for years, never heard about it being sharp! What can happen? I’ve actually just used the last so I’ll stick to hay in future.

thanks for the advice much appreciated :) I’ve been using straw for years, never heard about it being sharp! What can happen? I’ve actually just used the last so I’ll stick to hay in future.

It’s an eye injury risk (piggies being low to the ground means it could so easily poke them in the face) but it’s also not edible. They need to be surrounded by hay so they can eat lots of it.

It’s an eye injury risk (piggies being low to the ground means it could so easily poke them in the face) but it’s also not edible. They need to be surrounded by hay so they can eat lots of it.

I’ll buy extra hay when I top up my supplies on pay day :) thanks for the advice!

Hello. . . Well done for asking.
I answer a couple of questions I know about. .
Straw is a no for me. . Zil benefit for a piggie it's sharp and hay mixes with it. .I use cheap hay for bottom of they hay areas boxes etc but lots better quality hay on top.
As for fleece . . I have both long ones and smaller ones also . . When I got them i washed them loads time to allow wee to be absord. . . Its ideal for me as like you i have a L shape run. 20190424_121023.jpg
As for waterproof ones. . I personally say no. Make plenty and it's so easy to change the run . . Mixed sizes are a unsolved jigsaw.
Hope this helps.

Hello. . . Well done for asking.
I answer a couple of questions I know about. .
Straw is a no for me. . Zil benefit for a piggie it's sharp and hay mixes with it. .I use cheap hay for bottom of they hay areas boxes etc but lots better quality hay on top.
As for fleece . . I have both long ones and smaller ones also . . When I got them i washed them loads time to allow wee to be absord. . . Its ideal for me as like you i have a L shape run. View attachment 148893
As for waterproof ones. . I personally say no. Make plenty and it's so easy to change the run . . Mixed sizes are a unsolved jigsaw.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advice :) much appreciated! How long does it take to dry approximately?

Thanks for all the advice :) much appreciated! How long does it take to dry approximately?
I wash them using i think it's called a horse bag . .buy on line it stops hay and piggie poo if not shaken off from blocking the washing machine. . On 90 which cleans the wee off also . . Dry like normal gear. .
If you can make plenty and as I do have a Rota system. . Piggies love fresh stuff.
There is better info on this and what to use piggie friendly soap on here. You doing great. .going to be Brill.

I made mine. Fleece then mattress protector in middle and waterproof mattress protector as bottom layer. I also have loads of pee pads fleece top and bottom and zorb in the middle. Apparently U can also use removal blankets for middle layer- cheaper than zorb. The blankets removal firms use. Good videos on YouTube. Liners take a while to dry but pee pads don’t. The US vids refer to Uhaul. They are the removal blankets I spoke about. Feeling rich? Zorb is fab and sews up lovely.

I use zorb in the middle of two fleece layers. It is the best of all fabrics that I have tried.

I use a waterproof mattress protector in between mine and also a layer of wadding on the big pieces, but not on little pee pads. I wouldn’t tumble dry either but I do find mine dry very quickly especially if you give them an extra spin! I would also say make two
Smaller ones over one big one! Bath mats also work well especially in heavy areas, fleece and bath mat combo together!

Just wondering is it possible to use an undersheet electric blanket for your guinea pigs in the winter ? They are cheap to use and might just ensure they’re cosy ! Maybe other forum members can advise you ! Well done tho your set up is fab !

Just wondering is it possible to use an undersheet electric blanket for your guinea pigs in the winter ? They are cheap to use and might just ensure they’re cosy ! Maybe other forum members can advise you ! Well done tho your set up is fab !
You mean a proper electric blanket? Not sure I’d advise that...

I’d give that a wide berth. Guinea pigs with their gnawing & peeing really shouldn’t mix with electrics

Can I jump in and ask about bath mats? Do people use them over liners instead of fleece? Why would you use both together (as suggested up thread)?

Also, I currently use fleece over incontinence pads but have wondered recently why the wee is getting through and soaking them so quickly, is the fleece at the end of its days or might it be the liners have had enough? They were sold for adult human beds and I cut and sewed them to fit the cage, enough for one in and one in the wash. So they get used a fair bit. Always line dry everything. No conditioner.

I used bath mats where we have our hay rack as the hay doesn’t stick to it as much as the fleece, but I do fine the fleece works best in the areas where they pee the most!

Back